Ewido as on Demand Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by WilliamP, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Can Ewido be downloaded and set up as a free on demand scanner?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes. After fourteen days, it reverts to on demand only.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You don't have to have it resident at all during the 14 day trial period. When you download and install it you will be given the chance to set it up without the guard icon going into your tray. It will be demand only in that case.

Of course you can bring it in as resident at any time in the first 14 days should you wish; after that you will have to pay!

A word of caution, the free version does not scan within archives - so there is no use trying to use it to check a zip file you may have downloaded! Unless you do it in the first 14 days.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

When I read the description it seemed that only the pay version will scan.

5. ,.-

,.- Guest

The best thing about ewido plus is the memory scanner. I believe it's currently the most powerful memory scanner in the world since it uses strong signatures and features a module memory scanner. The disadvantage is that the memory scanner is very slow and, therefore, works on demand only (i.e., it is NOT part of the on access scanner). AFAIK the memory scanner will get deactivated after the trial period of the plus version has expired.

By contrast, BOClean and TDS-3 do not seem to have a working module memory scanner.

Trojan Hunter 4 may have a module memory scanner. However, there are some problems which need to be fixed in order to make it working again. The advantage of Trojan Hunter's memory scanner seems to be that it monitors the stack and, therefore, can be used not only as an on demand scanner but also as an on access scanner (i.e., it does not need to always scan every module and, consequently, it is much faster than the ewido scanner). For the average user, it is quite important to have an on access memory scanner since such users may not want/may forget to use the inconvenient on demand scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.