Ewido and services

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by iceni60, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi :) i have the free version of Ewido. in services "ewido security suite control" is set to automatic, is that mainly for the paid version? will there be any problems setting it to manual with my free version? thanks.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

None other than you will have to update manually after that. :)

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

If i am not mistaken,if it's not in automatic you can't either update or scan.Can't remember what,but i tend to disable every service i can and i remember that i can't do that with Ewido,so it must be one of the 2 reasons i mentioned.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just set it to manual and the service was stopped. then ran it, it opened OK and updated, but where it says connecting to server, update available, at the bottom, after the update it says "ewidoctrl.exe not running but required!" then i started a scan and it started fine. maybe i'll leave on automatic until i know more. o_O

i just ran it again and this time it says "no update available" and it doesn't mention ewidoctrl.exe, it isn't running though.

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Keep us posted on this, because I want to install Ewido free as an on demand scanner but would rather not have another background process running. If you can update and scan fine with that service in manual that would be great.

6. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

It sure uses a lot of cpu at times. I disabled the guard. Guard plus whatever else is running = 100% cpu

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

There must be some kind of conflict, lynchknot. I see nothing like those figures here, i infact do not notice it and have sometimes had Ewido & BOClean run "side by side", both in real-time with no problems. I would contact Ewido to try to track down the problem with them. :)

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As with Don's comments I have not seen these high CPU figures with the Guard. However, I am more concerned with the memory usage of the Guard which on my system is taking more than 18,800k VM. This is more than my AV and firewall combined. Not a major problem as I have enough RAM, but I like to run 'lean'.

Lynchnot, probably some conflict with your other software/hardware. Hope you can sort it out ;)

9. Blackcat

My problem is running BOClean. Spikes of 80-100% make it unusable. I have had not much luck with the new version of BOClean on any of my boxes, even after a fresh install :'(

10. lynchknot

11. Blackcat

Are you running Giant's Guard in real time? If so I would try disabling this and then see if you are still getting the high usage.

The other ones that I would try and disable would be;

1. Process Guard. I have no problems using PG and the Ewido Guard here but there are reports of a possible conflict between another AT, BOClean, and PG.

2. KAV. But again I know several people who run this combination without any problems.

However, sometimes it is the overall software combination on a particular system that causes the conflicts and not an individual program :(

12. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I dunno why you're complaining about 14K Mem Usage, have a look at mine - and sometimes it's worse! But I don't have the CPU though.

Attached Files:

• TM.jpg
      TM.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
  13. lynchknot

no I am not.

14. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I disabled the resident processes and do get that message and am able to update (manually) and scan.

Regards - Charles

15. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It should be running as it manages program updates and does some other stuff like LSP fixing etc. However, it is not required for scanning and signature updates ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your help Fish :cool:

17. JEBB

JEBB Registered Member

I went to their site but I don't see a free version. Where do I look for that?

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Just download the package that you can find. Install it and see it working for a month will all features and after a month the guard is turned off automatically. And that can be used again if you buy the license.

19. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

He is not complaining about the ram . It is the CPU that is killin him

20. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The guard and the control service are two different things. The former can devour CPU, that's for sure, but the latter does not, and should be left running, as fish25 pointed out above.

21. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I do the same thing, but I bit the bullet with the Ewido Control service (ewidoctrl.exe). This service uses negligible CPU time and memory, especially when not performing updates. Over the past 12 hours, it has used 0.4 seconds (that's 4/10 of one second) of CPU time on my system, and is using 780-KB of memory.

22. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I just wanted to add to this that today I downloaded Ewido but did not install the guard (plan on using it on-demand only) and right after I installed it I disabled the Ewido security suite control service. I was able to update fine as well as do a full scan fine, also the right click scan works fine as well. I don’t really see any negative effects without it running so I am going to leave it that way. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes after checking for an update it states “ewidoctrl.exe not running but needed” yet it still updated fine for me and if I check now says no updates available, if I run into any issues I will probably enable it but we will see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.