Ewido 4 causing strange behaviour- any ideas?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Old Monk, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi there

Have run Ewido 3.5 free version for some time without problems.

Downloaded V 4.0 on trial and on reboot the following happened.

1/ Machine took far longer at the loading personal settings stage.

2/ NOD 32 started to load and then hung for a while before other apps started to load. NOD 32 now doesnt appear in the system tray (appears to be running according to Task Manager)

3/ On second reboot the same with NOD 32 and now also Bit Defender free is missing from the system tray (again Task Manager says it's running)

4/ Loading of start up apps now taking at least twice as long.

Is Ewido conflicting with something? Other security apps at start up are Process Guard (paid version and in Learning Mode at start up), Spyware Guard, Spybot with Teatimer enabled, LooknStop and Shadowsurfer (disabled)

I'm thinking of dispensing with Spyware Guard and Spybot anyway if they are the problem and going with Ewdio paid.

However, if it's a conflict with NOD or Bit Defender or LnS, I'll have to think again.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Jon

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

In my Windows 2000 partition, I have

Ewido 4.0.0.172
    A-Squared 2.0.0.386
    ProcessGuard 3.4 Beta 1
    NOD32 2.51.26
    BitDefender 9.5 Standard (On-demand only)
    SpySweeper 5.0 Beta 3 (With Keylogger shield disabled)
    ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.722.000

This configuration has been run for some time, and both NOD32 and BitDefender runs normally as usual.

3. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

Don't know about Bit Defender or Nod, but I'm running Ewido 4.0.0.172 plus with Look'N'Stop along with Win Patrol plus, Spy Sweeper, SuperAntispyware, AVG Pro, and ProSecurity. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

4. Old Monk

Thanks for your replies guys

That sounds like BD and NOD and Process Guard are ok then :)

and the same for LnS which is reassuring :)

Might just try uninstalling Spyware Guard and Spybot then and see what happens :eek:

Cheers

Jon

5. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Jon,

I may be a little in over my head at this moment, but I have read in several forums that people have had conflicts with different software and Spybot's "TeaTimer". I don't know if it is true or not because after reading those posts, it was about 6 months ago, I never turned on teatimer. I love Spybot, but use it as "on demand" and don't use teatimer.

I don't know if that is or could be it, but thought I would relate what I had read.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

6. Old Monk

Thanks HelpFromFrance

Yes - I've read that in the past too. It does some odd things now and again that's for sure.

Feel guilty about dispensing with it altogether as it's the first security app I'd heard of and used other than A/V's. Will disable Teatimer and see where we go

You too have a good day.

Cheers

Jon

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Both ewido and Process Guard use SSDT hooks, which can be bad news sometimes. I'd personally try uninstalling PG.

8. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

I had no problems with Ewido 3.5 and TeaTimer, nor do I have any problems now with Ewido 4 and TT. I also have Windows Defender running without a problem.

9. Old Monk

Thanks nameless - I'd no idea what SSDT hooks were but Google found this link about rootkits which I have to admit most of it goes way over my head but very interesting none the less - so thanks for that.

http://www.vigilantminds.com/files/inside_windows_rootkits.pdf

However, back to the original problem - Ewido's website has a compatability list which both Process Guard and Spybot are listed as being OK. Not Spyware Guard I note though.

Any other Process Guard users out there care to express an opinion if they happen to be using Ewido as well ?

I've paid for PG, like it a lot and wouldn't want to have to take it off.

Thanks pwilliner for your input on Teatimer

Other than this issue I really like the look of this V.4 - seems to have some great tools and features -just hope I can get it to run smoothly :doubt:

Cheers

Jon

10. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Old Monk: Are you running Win2000 or WinXP?

11. Old Monk

Hi Peter

XP Home SP2

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  12. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Am using PG V3.4Beta1 (licensed version-all protection active) with ewido V4.0.0.172 plus (guard active)...both since the day of their release. Have encountered no conflict problems between these two programs.

Windows XP-SP2 Home Edition

13. Old Monk

Thanks Siliconman01 - I'm on PG V3.2 and nice to know you're having no issues running both.

I've just gone back to the machine in question and bingo - no problems! OK it's still slower to load everything but NOD and Bit Defender are in the system tray right as rain. Rebooted 3 times - same result o_O

Why do computers DO this? Do applications at start up load randomly each time or is there an order to it or they somehow get sorted after a couple of goes to avoid conflicts. I'm afraid that's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Anyway guys, thanks for all your input but I wouldn't waste any more time on it at present unless you've advice or can point me to info about start-up progs and how they load

I'll see how it goes for the rest of the trial period.

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Me too, no problems so far..:D

15. Old Monk

Hi

Back to this problem again

Also now my Printer start up software has 'encountered a problem and needs to close'

Peter.ewido were you going to have some input before I thought it was sorted?

16. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hmm.

What CPU do you have? How much RAM? And how big is your HDD?

Is there an error.txt in your ewido 4 installation folder? If so please submit the content here.

BR

17. Old Monk

Hi Vinzenz

XP Home SP2

Athlon XP-M 2600 +

256 DDR SDRAM

30 GB HD

Looked in the program file and there is an error text doc but it only shows
    'Failed to connect to server - value 00002741' errors and as I'm on dial-up I'm guessing that's normal when I'm off line.

Does any of this help?

18. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

uh that is not much Harddisk space *g* or is it your free space?

I cannot say what's going on but I think maybe you have a little bit less memory (RAM) for so much software running in the background. I think there is much paged out to the pagingfile which can slow down the machine. :(

But I'm not really sure if this is the reason.

BR

19. Old Monk

Thanks for trying anyway Vinzenz :)

30 GB is what came with the laptop and I think I'm down to about 22 free space now.

Extra RAM is on my shopping list at some stage.

These issues aren't in themselves serious enough to deter me from buying Ewido as security is more of an issue on this machine than anything else. However, having been ultra stable now for some time I really don't want any BSOD scenarios.

Still a bit of trial period left so we'll see how we go.

Please post if you get any other ideas

Does anyone know by the way if you can get Bit Defender to not load into the system tray at start up? That might help memory I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.