Everything you wanted to know about Linux games

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Here we go: you are a Linux user and you have a game you want to play. No worries. Just remember the game title; I'll take care of the rest. In this article, we will learn how to find and install Linux games, including game repositories, manual downloads, WINE, Cedega and CrossOver solutions for Windows games, virtualization, DOS games via DOSBox, browser games (Flash and Java), and more.

This is an absolute MUST for anyone even remotely interested in Linux AND games.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/linux-games-how-to-get.html

games-teaser.jpg

Took me quite a few hours to write this, so comments and suggestions are most appreciated.

Regards,
    Mrk

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Great guide! Something that helped me a lot is a program called PlayOnLinux ( http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ ). The database is not that large, but its free ;)

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Thanks for the time well spent. Mrk.

With the vast improvements in Virtual Machines, specifically VirtualBox I am favoring that solution over the other. VirtualBox is a cinch to install (at least that's my experience) and runs most native windows games quite well, at least the ones I've tried.

I found it amusing that you mentioned Armor Games, I have wasted away considerable time on that site, specifically on Crush the Castle that you used for you example screen shot. :)

I have a few DOS games that I occasionally like to play and reminisce with, for those I again use VirtualBox running DOS of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.