Everything Is a Subscription Now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mood, May 2, 2019.

1. mood

mood Updates Team

Everything Is a Subscription Now
    Some people like owning less stuff. But can you rent stability?
    May 2, 2019

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...n-helped-turn-daily-life-subscription/588526/

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I avoid subscriptions generally.
    If i cant buy it I wait to i can.

Software is the same if i cant buy a lifetime licence or version licence i dont buy,
    The only exception to that is AV with the work needed to keep definitions up to date accept the need for a sub.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

You don't own what you don't buy. Subscription as a principle is a scam.
    And it raises other questions, political, but this is not the place.

4. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I hate subscription rent lease stuff, particularly software. If I can't get a licence to permanently own it, I don't want it.
    I don't want anything 'in the cloud'. I don't like anyone trying to access my pc without explicit permission or software that phones home or which wants to accept calls in, behind my back. If there is a phone home element that is absolutely necessary in a software I like it to come with 'off' as the default with full and transparent reasoning as to why you should have it 'on' but only if that is of benefit to the user and not for clandestine purposes of the developer or 'partners'.
    I don't like software that includes a list of 'handy' umbilical links to Titter, Fakebook and other similar and I don't appreciate developers who think that this is a good idea.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

subscriptions are a cash cow. i like to hold a valid license for a specific product and i keep activations for it.

background for subscriptions is the more and more moving part to "cloud" computing - anything has to be cloud, clients get "thinner". some dont need a full featured desktop instead more a subnotebook or similar or a smartphone.

6. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Subscription isn't a scam nor useless, it has its usefulness. What matters it is how it is proposed, if you can unsubscribe at any moment immediately, then it has its value.
    I won't pay full price an expensive software for a few times need.

7. Infected

Infected Registered Member

When it comes to PC security, there is no need for a subscription. There are so many free security tools to keep your pc safe now days...

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I'm willing to pay subscription for AV/AM solution and VPN service. For other purposes I can still find solutions which provide option of one time purchase or did so in past.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.