Everest home edition will be no longer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

http://www.lavalys.com/news.php?article=31&selcat=PR&lang=en

What a shame -- Everest, and AIDA before it, were probably the greatest sys-info tools I ever saw.

2. rjnewer

rjnewer Guest

Well we still have the older free versions that will continue to work. ;)

3. Global Force

Global Force Guest

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It's still available on some European websites.
    Was v2.20 the last one ?

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

6. ttr76

ttr76 Guest

The last best freeware version of Everest home was v 1.51 in my opinion.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can use PC WIZARD instead, it's really good. i normally use them both.

here's the home page for PC WIZARD, there're screenshots at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

8. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

another good replacement is "System Info for Windows" (SIW) to be found at http://www.gtopala.com. Like "Everest Home Edition" it's free and actively developed.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

9. ErikAlbert

Yep, I know that one too, but it had a bug, I reported this and I hope it has been corrected.

10. gtopala

gtopala Guest

I'm sorry Erik, but I don't have a report from somebody called Erik or Albert. Did you use a different name?
    What’s the bug?

Thanks,
    Gabriel Topala

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes, it's good too. i tried it about 5 months ago and mainly didn't like the GUI. but, i installed UBCD4WIN about a month ago, which has SIW as a plugin, and although the GUI has only changed very slightly, if at all, for some reason i preferred it more this time. i still think the GUI lets it down most when compared to Everest and PC Wizard. i wonder if it's going to be improved?

what can i use for Ubuntu?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks for the Wizard link, iceni. I've now put it in and taken the Everest out, and it looks pretty good.

One feature that it's missing that Everest/AIDA did have was really handy, hot-links to the appropriate manufacturers' download pages for drivers. Maybe now that the "competition" (that particular competitor, anyway) has in effect dropped out, that's something the Wizard people can look at.

On the other hand, it does have one other nice feature that was in AIDA but dropped in Everest, the ability to check online for upgrades to itself.

13. LoveEverest

LoveEverest Guest

They haven't dropped out. They simple aren't going to offer a free version. Have you actually SEEN the Ultimate Edition? It's $19.50 off their web site, or you can download a trial. Ultimate is twice as powerful as this latest freeware edition, that's hardly dropping out. It is an incredible program and they will sell tons of it as nothing else comes even close to Ultimate Edition of Everest.

14. ErikAlbert

I have sent you an email and you replied with the promise you would correct the bug. I don't have the email anymore. You even told me you were from Rumania, because I apologized for my poor English.
    If you don't remember my email anymore, well I don't have the email anymore.
    The bug was in Software/ActiveX, but it seems to work now. It's also long ago, but I don't remember the date. Somewhere in the past two years.
    Most probably I used my real name, certainly not ErikAlbert, but my real name starts with Erik.
    I can't tell you my real name or even email-address at Wilders. Security rules. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  15. gtopala

gtopala Guest

Yes, I can improve it. Any suggestions? What's wrong with the current GUI?
    Thanks,
    Gabriel Topala

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Mike i'm glad you like it.

gtopala, there's nothing really wrong with the GUI, and i don't think i've ever heard anyone complain. the GUI works, but, if you put it next to Everest and PC Wizard i think that's the one area which could be improved. here are some things off the top of my head.

you could group some things together and make some tabs so things are on different pages. and have alook at some other programs with alot of options and see how they managed to group things together like Spybot. you could even have it use Visual Styles so it matches peoples themes.

maybe make some more configuration options too, like an advanced section for some users and more simple basic options for others. it would be great if you could do the same as Everest and open browsers up on the driver's home page too.

anyway, i don't know what you're doing but it seems it has become quite popular really quickly so you are difinately doing something right :cool:

17. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

System Info for Windows by gtopala is really nice. you dont even need to install it. the GUI, although very simple is nice and i think is fine as the way it is.

18. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Erik et.al.,

This is a bit off topic, but related to SIW.

An interesting thing I found out about SIW this week is that the author used the icon for WinXP's Restart as the icon for siw.exe. Normally, icons like Log Off and Turn Off Computer are within shell32.dll located in the system folder C:\Windows\system32, but not the Restart icon. In fact, I used Icon Catcher to search my entire system to find the Restart icon and it was nowhere to be found, except in siw.exe.

I used IrfanView to grab the icon from siw.exe and checked the transparent box (also the black background) to save the icon in the smaller format for use with a Reboot shortcut I have on my desktop - looks perfect!

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.