Eudora and SSL

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Majesty, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majesty

Majesty Registered Member

Hello,

I am using Eudora 7 and my ISP force the users to use SSL (port 995), why EAV doesn't scan my mails? I've tried many configurations, but nothing works. Someone can guide me through the procedure?

Thank you

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Put the port number here, after 110 (separated with a comma)

Attached Files:

• Nod3.GIF
      Nod3.GIF
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

NOD32 v2 doesnt scan SSL. I dont think v3 does either.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thanks WSFuser for pointing this out.

5. Majesty

That's a shame.

Thanks for the answers.

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

the reason it can't scan SSL connections for email is because of the encryption via SSL - if it was easy to hook into and scan the encrypted stream, then it would useless as a way of preventing sniffers from grabbing your private communications.

7. Majesty

As far as I know, AVG does it... (but it's the only good thing about this AV! ;))

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I'm not entirely sure how it could do it. it MUST scan AFTER the attachment/email "lands" on the client machine. I also read that they 'support ssl email connections'.

I don't think there is a way to scan the encrypted stream itself - SSL proxy is the only way I can think of NOT getting an SSL protocol error - but I'm no EXPERT - just a reasonably informed IT person!

The only way I think it could do it would be to work as an SSL proxy - ie, it sets itself up between the SSL port of the mail client and the server - during this proxy phase, it would have to decrypt and re-encrypt - I'm not sure if that's possible using the same keys, and could possibly break the ssl tunnel, so I would hazard a guess that a different ssl session would be used - ie...

For outgoing, email client encrypts to the ssl proxy - which un-encrypts - scans - then sets up a NEW ssl session to the server using a different ssl session and then delivers to the server encrypted. and coming FROM the server it would do the revserse...

Perhaps Marcos could explain how it is accomplished on the part of a product claiming to offer this facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.