eTrust Security Suite/DNA Migrator

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by doug6949, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I recently acquired this bundled package as a freebie with a large order. Questions:

Is the security suite any good? ETrust has some relationship to M$. I don't even trust companies that get along with M$.

Is DNA Migrator any good? The sales person said it doesn't slow down the computer like True Image and Ghost.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Afaik neither ATI or casper (weak *ss ghost) are resident. So they can't slow down your computer.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry, but WTF!? It's like saying i wouldn't trust Agip because they have some relation with Mercedes Benz.:blink:
    All relation they have with CA is that CA's software is protecting MS's gateways, servers and stuff. But since it's MS, everyone is making a big deal...

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Microsoft purchases (or at least used to..I'm sure sure if they still do this year)...NOD32 also. Darnit if I'd let that logic make me stop using it.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

MS is using NOD32 in their release labs.

6. doug6949

MS internal needs are the same as ours - security. That explains NOD32.

Their agenda for the consumer, OTOH, seems to be more driven by the desire to see inside our computers. Security and Microsoft roll off the tongue like 'military intelligence' and 'nice rattlesnake'.

If reputable security professionals recommend eTrust then there are compelling reasons to consider it. That is why I asked the question on this forum.

CA claims to be recommended by MS and that is not a good recommendation, IMO.

7. doug6949

Well, Ghost certainly did. It ran resident, loaded more than twenty entries in the registry, and wouldn't uninstall.

Haven't tried ATI but have heard good things.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I haven't been a fan of CA products for a long time (and I even have a friend who's a programmer for them) ..but last fall I went to an SMB Nation tour that Microsoft was doing, did the one at Microsoft building in NYC. Some CA reps were there and demonstrating their new business products. Quite a powerful admin utility for this product.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If you're going HDD to HDD. Try the clone feature of ATI. Or the simplest & easiest AME. See my sig.

10. doug6949

That looks like my best choice. After a closer look it appears that DNA Migrator does not do HD cloning, which was what I wanted in the first place.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Ghost for Win32 in a booted environment is the best solution IMO.
    I keep one image per month on a seperte HDD, my utilization is through Windows PE but you can run it from DOS boot disks.
    I restore a 40GB partition in about 3 minutes, piece of cake. :)

I have heard from numerous sources CA's admin utilities are a trump, but I fail to find myself ever utilizing them.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ime ghost f*cks with the mbr. Even when run in DOS.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Ghost9 many time without one problem it always works just like it is supposed to. where as I have had TI screw up royally several times.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I've used Acronis MigrateEasy for years (hundreds of clones) without a single problem. I won't touch ghost or ATI. I haven't found a complete backup (OS & everything) solution to storage other than HDD to HDD that is 100% reliable. And for me AME is 100%.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.