eTrust EZ Antivirus vs Avast free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the good info. I do have AT also, A sq free and also Ewido free.
    I am surprised that EZ and Avast will run together. While I have not done much testing, I have found that Avast and KAV did not run well, and earlier that AVG and another AV (I don't remember which) also had some conflict.

If they would run together, then that would be a good solution to use both.
    As I have staed earlier or elsewhere, the laptop will get very little use on the net, and I prefer to use free anti-malware. Normally I use paid versions of the versions, as I recognize that it costs to develop and support such.

Jerry

2. leafsfan1313

leafsfan1313 Registered Member

I have used both EZ and Avast, and both are very good anti-viruses. I prefer Avast myself because it has more options, but you may not like tweaking a lot of stuff. Also, Avast runs very light on my computer (around 10-20 MB of memory usage). EZ might run a little lighter though, I haven't used in a while.

I think Avast is a little better in zoo malware detection, but that's my opinion. EZ is still very respectable in that area.

All in all, both will give you good protection. It's really a matter of personal preference of what you think runs better on your system.

3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

The only effective way today of stopping a vast majority of zeroday malware from executing its instructions, is by HIPS...until the signature-based software "catch up" with the malwares codestructure. So, which one? They are both good engines (detection/cleaning) so the most important issue then has to be:

1. How often to they update and
    2. How many signatures thus the updates consist of (= total amount in the database...).

Regards, C.

4. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

I had a friend who used extrust 7 and the computer had a trojan that infected the computer, since eztrust doesn't delete viruses, only cleans them, it couldn't delete this trojan and it popped up on the screen constantly.

I had to remove eztrust and run dr. web cure it and it deleted the file. After removing eztrust, I installed mcafee home v. 10 and my friend has been pretty good computer wise ever since.

I think eztrust is very poor, especially that 12 month free version, I think it's pretty bad, not much detection nor any options on how to deal with trojans, viruses and I couldn't use it.

Avast free is much better, hell...I'd rather use AVG.

5. urwrong

urwrong Guest

Your wrong Simon. Etrust EZ Antivirus automatically puts infected files into its quarantine. You can delete then from there.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You are totally right you can delete with Etrust av.;)

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only AV that i know which cannot delete On-Access files is F-Prot which just blocks and reports, you have to run On-Demand to clean the mess...

8. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

If it was a trojan, then that's why. EZAV is an antivirus, not and antitrojan. It can delete viruses but most likely not trojans. Not many antivirus programs handle trojans very well, if at all. So it, at least being detected should be a plus for EZAV.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The antitrojan/antivirus specific thing no longer applies. Ewido is an antitrojan but it detects everything from viruses to spyware, worms and trojans.
    So no, that doesn't mean anything if it's called Antivirus.

10. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

It sure does. Most AV's are built to be just that, AV's. Yes they do detect other things like Trojans(as EZAV did), but detecting is one thing, cleaning is another.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah EZ AV is especially holding on this. Others don't as much, belive me.

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Wrong.

13. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

Several years ago I used to use eTrust Antivirus 6 which was excellent and very light on resources.

About a year ago I tried EZ Antivirus with the 12 month Microsoft trial. To my surprise, they still offer it to this day. ( http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ )

So, for the hell of it I decided to try it again. They've made it look a little cleaner and better looking overall. It is still very light on resources. My system is much more responsive now with EZ then it was with avast!. However, I really do miss having at least _some_ options to mess around with. I also prefer AV's that have a real-time file count such as avast! and McAfee VSE which give me the confidence that it's actually working. EZ AV is so quiet, so light on resources that I hardly notice it's even there. But that's not a bad thing, I suppose.

14. choloko

choloko Guest

It's a bit off topic but I'd say the whole point is that "which AV do you feel comfortable to use most is probably the best for you" I have a quite powerful laptop with Centrino Pentium M 1.3 GHZ, RAM 768 MB but I still have noticeable slow down with Avast Home 4.6 especially when launching the large files or programs which I don't know why but I don't think Avast Home is bad anyway.

My laptop is much much more responsive with AVG Free than it was with Avast Home, AVG Free is very very light on resources it runs so quiet like it isn't there. I know AVG Free has no bells and whistles, it is simple but I feel more comfortable to use it than Avast Home.

15. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've installed lots of that also, and CA is quite a bit lighter. The detection rates of both...hmmm...I'd say close to each other.

Performance hits are felt more on laptops, because many lower end models run on 4200rpm hard drives, a few midrange models on 5400rpm hard drives, with mostly just the higher end ones running on 7200rpm drives. Even on newer laptops over 2 GHz with a gig or two or RAM.

16. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Is there anywhere to see numbers of these products? I tried combing av-comparitives, but to no avail.

And how often does Avast update?

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Usually every 2 days if there isn't anythig special. But we were able to see even 5+ updates per 1 day!. Sometimes they'll update it every day too. Pretty much depends on how active is malware and how much of the stuff they get and analyse. But they seem to be more active since they hired new staff for defs.

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Indeed, big updates with a 300+ signatures added. Very nice! :thumb:

19. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Heres the #'s so far in 2006 for the Avast team...

Today (1/11): 146 signatures
    Jan 9th: 442 signatures
    Jan 6th: 2 signatures
    Jan 5th: 313 signatures
    Jan 3rd: 23 signatures
    Jan 2nd: 51 signatures

That's 977 total adds in the last 9 days.
    It looks like they are really working hard! :)

20. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Hrms. Looks a lot more hard working than the CA team. :T

Will convert later tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.