Etrust av 7 promo - promp for viruses?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsehov, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Hi there,

There has been quite a lot of discussion about etrust av 7 promo version here so I believe someone can help me with my problem.

Is there any possibility to get that mentioned av promo to prompt out when it detects viruses or trojans? I have changed the settings many ways but all I can get is a virus or trojan report in the log file. It really detects plenty of trojans etc. but I would like to see immediate warning right after it has detected something. Of course I understand that this is a server -version and therefore it is a bit different from those meant to be used in a single workstation... but still

I am using WinXP pro and I have set 'alerter' and 'messenger' to be started up automatically.

Thank You for Your help in advance.

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

welcom to the forum tsehov :D
    I assume you are talking about the realtime monitor (on-access scanner), right?
    I use eTrust 7 promo on my pc running Win98se. the realtime monitor is set to move the uncurable ones..
    If you tried to open an infected file, eTrust will pop-up at once telling you that it stopped the virus..
    I tried to create an EICAR file and attached the alert that appeared on my monitor..
    May be you have a corrupted installation :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but I suggest you wait till one of the mods or the more knowledgeable members answer you.. ;)
    hope you get your problem solved soon :)

Attached Files:

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Hi tsehov, welcome. I also have e Trust v7 promo and are very happy with it . Im not one of those more knowledgable peoples that mina was referring too, but I had a look at my settings and believe it could be just a setting that you have adjusted . worth a look anyways first .
    I just downloaded the "eicar test file" http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
    to check how my monitor was performing , and it worked fine . a pop up informed me that
    the eicar test string was infected etc . So Im wondering if you have tweeked your settings such that it only reports to your log and you dont get a pop up to inform you.
    You may wish to check some settings and see if that helps
    open up your e trust anti virus local scanner > scanner >Alert options > Alert filter > On mine I just have "notification by level of security" checked and "information" checked . > ok .That is all . If you check much else there i think it may stop the alerts and send it to your log in your local scanner ..
    On the other tab on the page b4 labeled " report " I have nothing checked.
    Perhaps you could try that and see if it helps . good luck let us know how it goes.

Also there is some basic settings that are worth a browse at found at
    http://my-etrust.com/news/pressreleasedetails.cfm?pressReleaseID=16
    click on PC World: Step-By-Step
    View Press Release

4. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Thank You very much for your help.

Anyway I still do not have any pop-ups telling me there is a virus vhen downloading eicar -file. In the log view I can see that there really is a virus. I followed instructions to set alerter options just like solarpowered candle adviced but still the same problem remains: no pop-ups at all.

I thought the problem might be in my services settings: I have changed many of them to start up 'manual' instead of 'automatic'. But what services could they be? Like I said earlier I have 'alerter' and 'messenger' set 'automatic'.

I do not think that my installation is somehow corrupted since I have installed the 'eav promo' many times on the clean table (I use Norton Ghost to get back to clean install) and everytime the same problem ...

Best regards,

Markku

5. solarpowered candle

I just cannot think of any other solution apart from goingback through all the settings and checking them

with your real time monitor options > advanced > there should be a check in " real time pop up messages"
    also have you got "limit no of pop ups too 3 " in that check box?
    Also above that you have a check in either or all of the protected areas > protect floppy drives > protect network drives > protect CD drives

In the Local scanner options >"manage services " have you got the 3 services started

There is a possibility that your real time monitor is not working . If that be the case you would need to check the settings or statistics.

You said "I thought the problem might be in my services settings: I have changed many of them to start up 'manual' instead of 'automatic'.
    Where did you do that ?

Run out of straws here hopefully some one may have the solution for you. :)

6. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Thanks again.

"with your real time monitor options > advanced > there should be a check in " real time pop up messages"
    also have you got "limit no of pop ups too 3 " in that check box?
    Also above that you have a check in either or all of the protected areas > protect floppy drives > protect network drives > protect CD drives"

I have set those alike.

"In the Local scanner options >"manage services " have you got the 3 services started"

Yes, I have.

"There is a possibility that your real time monitor is not working . If that be the case you would need to check the settings or statistics."

It is working - at least somehow because I can see in 'log view' all the downloaded viruses and trojans.

"You said "I thought the problem might be in my services settings: I have changed many of them to start up 'manual' instead of 'automatic'.
    Where did you do that ?"

In 'My Computer' >> Manage >> Services and Applications >> Services.
    I have changed some settings according a few WinXP Tweak guides just to stop services I do not need. I have now tested my configuration by starting a couple of services which were disabled but the problem is still there.

I even downloaded eav7promo.exe for the third time just in case ...
    New fresh installation and still no pop-ups.

Best Regards,
    Markku

7. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Re:Etrust av 7 promo - prompt for viruses?

Hi again,

Still trying to solve the problem ...

Today I downloaded and installed etrust Antivirus 7 'service pack 1' (7.0.139 >> 7.0.142) but that did not solve my problem.

I also tried to start almost every Windows 'service' and that did not help either.

I find this issue very curious since I have tried (and some of them I have used awhile) many antivirus software including: F-Secure 5.40, PC-Cillin 2002, Dr. Web, AVG 6 (free edition), Avast 4, AntiVir PE and Virus Chaser 5.0. And I have had any kind of problems with them. And my configuration has worked totally solid in every sense for a long time, so I do not think that the problem is in my computer.

I guess I have to give up and wait if there will be some kind of fix to this problem.

I am still wondering why there are no more messages in the web concerning this type of problem?

Best regards,

Markku

8. solarpowered candle

Perhaps you should try emailing CA associates and describe this issue.

Go to http://esupport.ca.com/
    choose a language ( i chose english at the top box selection) it will take you to a new page where you scroll down to Technical Support E-Mail Request Forms
    "please select a product"
    This will take you to another page , on this page just fill in the bare requirements and the description of the problem or issue. Think that should work .

9. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Thanks again, but that did not work because they required "error message received". So I can't submit the form without filling those required items completely.

There is no error message in my case.

Best regards,

Markku

10. solarpowered candle

Thats a shame that you have that hassle with it . Its a very nice AV . If no one comes along with a solution it maybe because yourz is unique. I do wish you luck with sorting this out . I would like to hear if you manage too and what the solution is . kind regards robert

11. minacross

Re:Etrust av 7 promo - prompt for viruses?

could you guide us where to download this sp1 ? :rolleyes:
    thanx in advance

12. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Hi,

"could you guide us where to download this sp1 ?"

Of course, I found it from: http://esupport.ca.com/ first 'please select the product' >> eTrust Antivirus >> next You'll find section called 'Solutions & Patches' >> then again 'Please select a product' >> I chose 'eTrust Antivirus 7.0 for Windows NT/2000/XP' (there is no server 2003 version here). There is also Windows 9x section with some downloadable patches but without any servicepack.

(Funny though, there is some patch for Windows 95 which is described:
    'W95-REALTIME VIRUS ALERTS NOT WORKING')

I used XP version (in my XP installation) and it did not complain anything.
    Now You will have to register if You have not done it yet. And there You are in the patch download page.

By the way, I found something in the newsgroups while trying to solve my initial problem:

>>Using Netscape for general browsing and mail has allowed a freedom
    >>from "critters" getting into my computer. Haven't had my virus
    >>scanner (Etrust)pop up with a virus warning in a long time. The
    >>last one was on fresh win98 install while testing my connection
    >>with IE. Netscape was not yet installed.

This could be the point since I have used Mozilla browser for quite a long time.

Best Regards,

Markku

13. minacross

thanx Markku :)
    but I can not find this SP1 on both win98/winme and win2000/xp paches pages o_O[/me]

Attached Files:

14. tsehov

tsehov Registered Member

Hi,

Just before coming to this page that You took a screenshot there was also selectable eTrust Antivirus for Windows NT/2000/XP. Go a bit back and then select the mentioned section and You'll come to this page.

Best Regards,

Markku

Attached Files:

15. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Registered Member

I'm an eTrust user versuib 6.1.5.8 at present and didn't even know about version 7 yet. I have, however, started getting cookie notices (though I'm not online at the time). I do have auto-download configured to automatically work, so eTrust could be sending the cookie requests that way. See the attached for the cookie notices.

Just kinda curious!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.