eTrust Antivirus v7.1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JST1960, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JST1960

JST1960 Registered Member

Anyone have any comments on
    eTrust Antivirus v7.1?

I am currently using NOD32, which
    expires in about 6 weeks. I am in
    search of a replacement. I have
    had no problems with NOD at all,
    I just want to try something else.

I do want to stay with something
    light. I tried out KAV and PC-Cillin,
    did not care for either of them.

I am also looking at Bitdefender,
    DrWeb and F-Prot.

Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me nod32 offers the best balance between protection and lightness so i couldnt think of switching. ive tried dr web but i felt it was a bit slower. F-Prot - have not tried, but ive heard its very light. bitdefender - neither light or heavy. etrust - never tried; also been meaning to ask teh difference between the regular etrust antivirus 7.1 and etrust ez antivirus 2005. anyone know?

3. waters

waters Registered Member

I used etrust promo which is very light,but protection i dont think would be as good as nod.I now use authentium and is good protection,and i find even lighter than nod.

4. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Dr. Web for me all the way. Light, easy, automatic and always in the top!

Putin ;)

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Amen to that, I really like the good doctor. F-Prot is good but not very configurable. I highly recommend DrWEB... :D

6. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

From my experience with eTrust Antivirus 6 and 7, I found them both to be very light on system resources. It had always been the lightest antivirus on system resources in my opinion. Computer Associates is a big company and should be quite a trustworthy antivirus product. They typically used to deal mostly with large enterprises until they started releasing the "ez..." series which was geared more towards home users.

In my opinion, the eTrust Antivirus series is a full, professional product. The "ez..." series are just simplified more for home users. The regular eTrust Antivirus would have more options to make use of if you like tinking with different settings. I believe that they both use the same definition files, please correct me if I am wrong though.

eTrust typically doesn't have the highest detection rates as compared to some others, but I don't think that should affect your decision. All antivirus products do a decent job with current "in the wild" viruses and that is what matters the most, in my opinion. Common sense is your best defence...

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd without question stick with NOD32. I've seen too many issues sneak past CAI products....I've worked with them in the corporate world, and on private home PCs...all variations of their products I've seen fail to do their job.

8. joter

joter Registered Member

I think that eTrust Antivirus v7.1 is the best "value for money" light antivirus corporate product. Except for detection it CAN ALSO CLEAN a lot. There are no conflict issues unlike KAV, Panda and Norton and it is comparable only with F-prot antivirus but more customisable.

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

ETrust 7 Promo is an excellent product, that uses two scan engines. Vet and Inoculate. I ran it for over a year when it was first offered and never had a problem. In those days, I was stupid and went to known virus inhabited sites to test it. Not one ever got through. I recommend it highly and since it was mentioned here, I might find the download site and try it again if it's still available.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

so do all of them use the two engines?

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

E-Trust 7 Promo uses the Vet and InoculateIT engines.

ETrust EZ uses only the Vet engine, which scores pretty well in the various tests. Etrust EZ is free for a year and purchasing is cheap after that year. I've seen it at WalMart's or Sam's Club for less than $20.

From what I understand, etrust 7 comes with both engines, although I'm not sure if they're still Vet and InoculateIT or some other. In any case, v7 is a very good product. Setup is easy and I never had a problem with it. I removed it because I can't seem to keep antivirus or firewalls permanently. I always find something else I want to try.

12. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

FYI, it's also the AV component used in Zonealarm Security Suite and Zonealarm Antivirus.

13. JST1960

JST1960 Registered Member

Thanks for the replys everyone!

I will most likley go with eTrust Antivirus v7.1.
    I found a link to the promo and plan on loading
    it on my test box to check it out.

I'm still going to do some researching on DrWeb,
    BitDefender and F-Prot before making my mind up though!

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

eTrust r7.1 still uses vet and ino engines. Has better detection than eTrust promo 7.0. eTrust r7.1 can be purchased at newegg for under $15.00 with lifetime updates and scan engine upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.