ESS4 personal firewall broken

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by gemisigo, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gemisigo

gemisigo Registered Member

Hi!

After reinstalling ESS4, the personal firewall got broken. On the protection status page it says that "personal firewall rules could not be converted for an unknown reason" and on the setup page it tells me that "no filtering mode defined", and suggests me to restart. Restart did not help. Neither did full uninstall and reinstall with removing every eset folders left and cleaning the registry :(

Any ideas what could be the problem and how may I solve ito_O

2. wisp_rabbit

wisp_rabbit Registered Member

Is your operating system Windows Vista 32-bit? Also when you open up ESS, click on setup, to the right, does it show web access protection non-functional? I have the same issue and trying to find details to see if it is just my system or a bug in the ESS program.

Thanks

3. gemisigo

The operating system is Windows Vista Business 64-bit, but yes, the setup pages shows web access protection as non-functional and the Enable web access protection checkbox in the configuration menu is greyed out so it cannot even be turned on.

4. wisp_rabbit

wisp_rabbit Registered Member

Try these steps. Make sure you can view hidden files.

1. Uninstall ESET Smart Security by following these steps:

a. From the Start menu, select ‘All Programs’ -> ‘ESET’ -> ‘Uninstall’.

b. Follow the prompts to uninstall your ESET security product and restart your computer to complete uninstallation.

c. Once your computer has restarted, click Start > Run, type regedit and click OK.

d. Find and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\egui

e. Open My Computer explorer and delete these folders:

C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\ProgramData\ESET
    C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\local\eset

f. Navigate to the C:\Windows\inf folder and delete this file:

INFCACHE.1

2. Reinstall version 3 of the software.

Downloads page:

http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

Version ESS3 works when installed. Working with Eset for a better fix than just installing previous version of software. This will at least provide some protection.

5. gemisigo

As I have mentioned in my opening post, I already did try these steps without any success. Thx for your recommendation but since I don't want to drop back to a previous version and the anti virus part is working normally, I'll stick to the built in firewall until someone finds a solution to this issue.

6. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Well under XP there's a lot more entries in the registry that you need to remove than those shown.

What we need is a proper clean up Util when uninstall doesn't clear up properly.

7. gemisigo

I tried RevoUninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com) suggested by some people if it could do a full uninstall. It's funny that it doesn't even see ESS4. It's shown in the built-in application removal of the control panel > programs and features but not in the Revo Uninstall list. This thing is getting messier and messier with every attempt...

UPDATE: ahh, I see. No 64bit support yet, so the 64bit applications cannot be uninstalled. Even though there are few of them shown in the list. Mess, mess, mess...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Just to verify, you removed the EPFWDATA.BIN, EPFWTEMP.DAT and EPFWUSER.DAT files from the "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\" directory, correct?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. flapdrol

flapdrol Registered Member

After installing SP2 on Vista x64, the same thing occurred to me, but when I turn off UAC it works again, so, until ESET fixes this problem, I work with UAC turned off.

11. gemisigo

I removed the complete "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security" folder. And any other folders that had any connection to ESET or ESS4. Additionally I cleared the registry just to be sure, both with a regcleaner and manually too. Didn't help. So I must have missed something (something that doesn't have ESET/Smart Security in its name/path/comment/whatever), because since then I reinstalled Vista and now ESS4 firewall works normally. I wouldn't be so brave though to try and reinstall ESS4 again to see if it crumbles to dust again. I'm afraid it would.

I haven't installed sp2 yet (it's not on the update list :rolleyes: ), and I don't use UAC. So that cannot be the problem. Or the solution :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.