ESS & Windows Firewall - Vista x86 Ultimate

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by rapierau, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

Have a quick question for the boffins.

I have a clean install and installed ESS. On checking services and running Process Explorer I found that the Windows Firewall was still enabled even though ESS has one built in and also enabled.

I assume this is a oversight with Beta 1b and it shouldnt have happened.

I have therefore disabled the Windows Firewall and left ESS running in auto filtering mode.

I take it this is the right thing to do as running two firewalls cant be good?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

I don't know how it is in Vista but in my XP SP2 , ESS disabled Windows Firewall during installation . I mean all security suits I have even tried disable Windows Firewall . They don't stops its service or the svchost.exe . This way they don't conflict but easy recover it after that .

If the Windows Firewall service was running but it was set to disabled in Control Panel->Windows Firewall , then it is how it should be :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2007
  3. crummock

crummock Registered Member

In my experience with ESS and Vista x86 the Windows firewall was NOT turned off automatically.

In fact turning it off in the control panel was only any good until next reboot at which time it switched back on.

The only way I stopped Windows Firewall was to disable the service.

4. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

In my intallation Windows Firewall was disabled - I assume by ESS.

5. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Sorry, should have said Vista Ultimate installation.

6. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

No worries - stop the service and disable it, which is exactly what I have done.

Must be an oversight of Beta 1b.

Thanks

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This may answer a nagging question for me and why I cant use the suite. I can download it and it works great, until I do a reboot then it slows to a crawl among other things. Later today I will try again and see if the firewall enables itself on reboot. I hope it does because theat would fix my issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.