ESS v4.2.71.2 exported config doesn't import into v5.0.94.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pudduc, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pudduc

pudduc Registered Member

Just as the title says, I installed Smart Security v5.0.94.0 in Windows XP the other day. I exported my version 4 configuration to an XML file first, uninstalled v4.2.71.2, installed v5.0.94.0 and tried to import the configuration file. It didn't work. I got a pop-up box telling me there was an error with the configuration file. I went back to the old v4.2.71.2 and it imports the configuration file with no problem. So the file itself is not corrupt. It's just unusable to version 5.

Is a version 4 export supposed to be compatible as a version 5 import? I've used ESS for several years now and the configuration file always used to be transportable to newer versions. Has that changed?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Basically there should be no problem with that. It must be something specific in your configuration that causes the problem while importing the xml. Would you please upload the xml to a safe location and PM me the download link so that I can check it myself?

3. pudduc

pudduc Registered Member

I tried to send a PM and got the message, "The private messaging system is currently unavailable". If it's like other vBulletin forums I've seen, could that be because I only have one post to my credit? Anyway I was only going to PM that I don't have a hosting site for anything other than pictures. As an encrypted zip file my config.xml is only 9K long. The post settings says that I may post attachments. Any chance I could attach it to a post and then PM you the password? I'm guessing the forum wouldn't be fooled if I renamed my zip file to one of the allowable extension types. Is that permitted on this forum? I haven't seen the format of the way PM's are setup. Can I rename the uncompressed *.xml to *.txt and attach that to a PM? Can you PM me an email address?

What would happen if I installed version 5 without deleting version 4 first? I don't mean in the usual recommended but not necessary context. I always turn off my broadband modem when uninstalling an old version before an upgrade just for safety's sake. But rather just to be able to save a config that was specific to version 5. Then go back and delete the upgraded version 4, re-install a fresh copy of version 5 and restore the saved config. Would that solve my problem?

4. pudduc

pudduc Registered Member

Hello..., anybody?

5. Marcos

PM sent.

6. pudduc

pudduc Registered Member

So it's been a week since I uploaded my exported configuration file and no response. Could someone please tell me what I need to do to get version 5 to import a settings file exported by version 4?

7. Marcos

Hello,
    I'm sorry for the delay, feel free to PM me a reminder if you don't get a reply in a timely manner.
    I've checked your xml and found out that removing the following line will allow you to import the configuration. This happens because v5 Home Edition doesn't use global lists any more so we consider it a bug which, I believe, will be addressed in the next build of v5.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. pudduc

pudduc Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. I removed the line you suggested and did an import of my version 4 configuration into a fresh install of version 5.0.94. I still got the same import error. But it appeared to have loaded anyway. I checked the programs in my exception list and a few other things. They were all there as far as I could tell. What made me think it hadn't loaded the first time, apart from the error message, was an activation notice. I checked this time and my user name and password had been imported even though I was still getting an activation pop-up. It must have been because my DSL modem was turned off for the safe removal and re-installation of the new v5 Smart Security.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/pudduc/ImportError.jpg

Version 5 seems to be much slower than version 4. The alt-printscreen I did to take the above snapshot took over a minute to allow IrfanView to save as a file. Is this normal? Gone back to version 4 for now.

9. Marcos

Definitely not. For me v5 is significantly faster than v4 in terms of the scan speed thanks to ESET Live Grid and additional optimizations. I wonder if disabling real-time protection would make a difference in your case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.