ESS loses internet connection with K9 web protection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by trjam, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

K9 is a parental website filtering software. ESS will intillay work, but I have it set to automatic mode in firewall. Upon rebooting I lose my ability to get email and/or the internet. Is there away around this and how. thank you.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If I click on allow all traffic, everythig works. As soon as I turn on automatic or interactive mode, email and web browsing are locked, or gone.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After some more testing, this is what I have. If I download the suite, it works great in automatic mode. If I reboot, then email and web browing dont work. But I can still update programs like SAS. Disable firewall and all works. So it may not have a thing to do with the title of thread. I do have my service in the trusted zone. Thank you.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmmmm, Support Forums? Can I get some please. I am having to try and figure this problem out myself. OK. I dont know how to add rules but if I can add a rule or something for K9 Protection so that the firewall doesnt look at it I think I can clear this up. Other then that, everything about this suite is great. Thank you.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Reading a bit about K9, this is what I would try. Turn off K9, uninstall the beta and restart, delete the Eset folder in program files if it is still there.
    Reinstall the beta in the expert mode and set the firewall to interactive during the setup. Browse a bit and try the various programs you use. If they work, enable K9 and see how it affects the beta.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thank you sir. That is what I will do. Really ,this suite has the potential to blow them all out of the water. Marcos, peace, you done good.;)

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well Eset and K9 dont mix, just yet. I did as you instructed Ronjor and after deleting K9 and reinstalling the Suite, all is well. Even after rebooting 3 times just to see.:) So now in interactive mode I am going to reinstall K9 and see what happens. K9 is one of the best parental control programs and it is free. It also has some antispyware stuff in it and that is what I think doesnt mesh with the suite. But hey, you got me this far and thanks for the great support. Will keep you informed.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Where's the eye? I don't see the eye. ;) :D

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sorry Ronjor. The interactive box for K9 did popup and I clicked to always allow. Then rebooted and everything went weird. No internet service, and in my processes ERKN.EXE kept running at 100 percent of CPU usage. My mouse would barely move. Finally clicked on allow all traffic and everything was fine but not the setting I would want with the firewall. K9 has to stay for protection for the kids, so will just wait until Eset can work this out. I do appreciate your help and response.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. Looks there is some sort of conflict. Eset will make a note of this I'm sure as this is a beta.

You don't have any other firewalls or security programs active by any chance do you?

And, is K9 installed in the default mode? There are a lot of options in the K9 manual on site blocking.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes it is in default. It is the firewall because allow all traffic and everything works fine. No problem, that is what beta is all about. Heck, allowing the firewall still gives me the AV 3.0.:)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you discover the cure to this problem, let us know. :D

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well this I know, it all worked when the suite first came out, but they have tightened down on some stuff, so,,,,,I am hoping they will figure it out.:)

14. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

what do you mean - there has been some component update?? Haven't seen any- only virusdatabase

Ruben

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ tosbsas

The new ESS/NOD32 v3 allows ESET to directly made bigger(more important) updated/upgrades to the product , not only signature update .

Since the first BETA appeared , thanks to this they have added/fixed some things (e.g. Added Remote Desktop allow , for the trusted zone)

16. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

ok, thats interesting, but I had set the settings to ask me in case of component updates - thats why I asked

Ruben

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ruben,

You should get a popup on the lower right side when there is a component update or when there is a definitions update. It doesn't last long but it does pop up.
    This should occur in the default mode.

We are drifting from the original theme of this post however.

18. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I have the same problems, running ESS under Vista. When I installed K9 ESS went all crazy, CPU up to 100%, mouse doesn't move. Even with automatic firewall mode. K9.exe also isn't listed in the overview of network traffic.

19. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I have ESS and K9 running on a Vista Machine
    here and they get along fine. K9 was here first
    with 30 day trial version of NOD 32 2.7 and the
    latest Beta of Look n Stop. I uninstalled the 2.7
    and LnS and installed ESS. I've flippped back
    and forth between Automatic and Interactive
    on the firewall several times playing with it.
    I use Thunderbird as an email client and have
    K9 configured to work with it. I do use it's
    blacklist feature. I do have it set to " use a
    DNS blackhole list to help identify spam"
    Other than that, it is all default settings.

Mike

20. Abeltje

I just remember something. Apart from the "almost freezes" of the computer, something else happened. My screen turned black for a few seconds and then the image came back and Vista said something about an issue with the graphics adapter which had to be reinitialized (cannot remember the exact message). This only happened after I installed K9. There is no other security software that could conflict. My graphics adapter is Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I just did my weekly download of the suite, and on installation in interactive mode, IT DID ask for permission for K9. So this is good and right now it is working well. My problems normally surface in the first 12 hours. I really have to admit, I am down to this suite or Kaspersky. I really love how "quiet" this one is. As far as Kaspersky, I love its detection, and just dont add web browsing on install and use Sandboxie. Slow surfing is gone. But ESS really has exactly what a person needs without all the crap added. So I am wishing them well as things are getting better. When you see my final avatar,"not that you give a crap", I will wear as proudly as C.S.J. does with his. Nice to see things moving smoothly Marcos. Geez, I bet your hair is grey.;)

22. Abeltje

trjam, what do you mean by "weekly download" - is the ESS installation file updated constantly? Or how is it possible that it works right now?

I do prefer ESS over KIS as well, ESS is much lighter and much more trimmed to real security needs (and not just putting as many features in there as possible).

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

they can tweak it as they go along.:)

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this morning everything is fine. It performed its scheduled scan overnight. Switched firewall to automatic.

25. Abeltje

I just installed ESS again with interactive mode - and it works! It asked me about access for K9 process. Very nice! It certainly did not work when I installed with automatic mode yesterday, and it wouldn't ask about K9 even if you switched to interactive later on, also turning the firewall off didn't resolve the problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.