ESS is making L4D/TF2 unplayable in Win7 64

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Moggy W, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moggy W

Moggy W Registered Member

Hello guys, My renewal time for my 4 ESS licenses are due in the next few days but for the first time (While using Nod32/ESS) i am seriously considering using another AV when the license expires due to problems i am having in my online games of Team Fortress 2 & Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2.
    I am also having this problem in the single player L4D/L4D2

The terrible stuttering(low framerate/High ping at times) & unplayability(Terrible mouse stutter) are exclusive to Win7 64 bit & since ESS was released i have had to configure a Dual Boot config so i can play both the aforementioned games in Windows XP 32 where the symptoms are far less serious than in Win7 64. I have also downgraded to Nod32 where the syptoms are less severe but serious enough to ruin my games.

I have ruled out any instability on my PC's/Laptop as these games play perfectly well without any AV installed(I also tested multiple AV's and it was completely stutter free) & i have also installed many clean copies of my OS's more time then i care to remember.:(

I have set the exclusions in the options, I have also carefully configured the firewall(interactive) to rule out network possibilities & have messed about with the settings as far as my knowledge can take me. I have also taken care to let the program modules update & i always install the latest version of ESS.

I have been a fan of Eset for a few years & have always shown my loyalty at every renewal period but i'm at my wits end.

Sorry for the wall of text but i'm in desperate need of some guidance that might help with with these issues as i begrudge spending good money on an AV that is not Eset.

Any help appreciated!!!!!!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling real-time protection, firewall or HTTP checking in the main setup (F5) make a difference? Do you use default settings?

3. Moggy W

Thanks for the reply, I have disabled real time protection & firewall a lot of times but the symptoms persist...I have not tried the HTTP thingy but i will certainly give it a go.

I have used default settings...I have configured the options manually & i have pretty much tried every option. On the Valve(steam) forum they do warn of incompatibility with Eset so this might be the elephant in the room.

Having spent hours testing l4d1/l4d2 in solo mode with the same symptoms i am doubtful whether the firewall is an issue.

Works a lot better in XP 32 & i'm convinced it's a 64 bit issue...However i am not a fan of using this OS when i have a shiny Win7 installation waiting to be used.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

L4D BSODs for me on Windows 7 x64 with ESS or KIS but not without any AV at all. I think it is just an unstable game to begin with. Hopefully everyone involved can get it sorted out.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

6. Slooshy

Slooshy Registered Member

I am playing L4dead 2 in Win7 x64 Ultimate edition with ESS 4.2.40.0, and I have no problems at all. Virus Sig 5089

I have firewall and real time protection enabled.

I do not have "advanced heuristics on file execution" enabled.

7. Moggy W

Thanks for the replies...

I will apply the hotfix & see how it goes.
    Regarding "advanced heuristics on file execution" i do not have that enabled. Neither do i enable Runtime Packers or any other ESS option which is highlighted as having a possible adverse effect on system performance.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've had the hotfix since its release and it does nothing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.