ESS Install Ended Prematurely/Rollback

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by AndrewGVS, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewGVS

AndrewGVS Registered Member

Trying to install Eset Smart Security 4.2.64.12 64bit on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and it fails by ending prematurely and rolling back.

Error message is a very unhelpful 1603, which is a generic failure.

It's an HP Elitebook 2740p, with a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64bit, then anytime upgraded to Ultimate, and HP drivers loaded.

Have tried with UAC disabled, and generated logs (which ESET UK now have and are passing onto Global).

Never had a problem installing ESS before, but then haven't installed a 64 bit version, onto Windows 7 Ultimate before.

Search this forum and tried the suggestions of the Eset Uninstaller, can't find the Infcache file in one suggestion, still no luck.

Bit annoying to say the least.

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

3. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

If you are using Windows 7 the infcache.1 file is located in c:\windows\system32\driverstore

Error 1603 is normally seen when the Eset installer detected an already installed AV, i presume you are using ERA to see this message, if this is a clean install of Windows and your are sure there is no other AV installed then you could try adding the following command line parameter to the package IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1 to see if it helps.

Also check that you have the latest NIC drivers installed, don't rely on Windows updates to give you the latest version.

4. AndrewGVS

Ahem...
    interestingly, there was no setupapi.log, but told tech this, guessed article does not include Win7.

Ah, that's more like it, thanks found the infcache, but it will not let me move, rename or delete it, says I need permission from administrators but I've run Windows Explorer as Administrator... very irritating.

No, seeing that error from the installation log generated from the ESET KB above.

Definately no other AV on here, fresh install of Win 7 Pro 64bit and then anytime upgrade to Ultimate (took a minute).

Tried the IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1 option, installation still ends prematurely and rolls back.

I have latest drivers for everything, from HP directly, except for the wireless, latest driver would lose connection (still connected, but unable to access gateway) so had to reset the adaptor, second latest had a bug in it that would completely disable the adaptor every so often, only a reboot got it back, so I'm running on 3rd latest and it's working ok. Wireless NIC is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN.

*scratches head* This is a ******.

5. nonoise

well, you could paste the log here if you expect an answer...

6. AndrewGVS

Not really, Jdeane gave some good suggestions without the log, but unfortunately don't work for me.

There's a lot of info on the log I would consider private and therefore not just going to post to a public forum, and the ESET Rep did the same thing as me, drilled down to the bottom and looked at the error code it finished with, a very generic 1603 as I have already mentioned and no, there is no other antivirus installed.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest contacting customer case and supplying the following:
    - installation log
    - setupapi.log (read the instructions here)
    - Process Monitor log from installation

8. AndrewGVS

Hi Marcos, already done before I posted the thread, ESET UK have forwarded on the install.log file to Global, however I followed the KB, but no setupapi.log file was created.

Wasn't asked for a Process Monior log, can do that.

9. Marcos

A ProcMon log is not always necessary. If you could ask the UK distributor to supply you with the appropriate ticket ID from the global partner care, I could inquire my colleagues about the status.

10. AndrewGVS

Got an email today for these details.

ESI.log - the install log file? I've already sent one!

winapi.log - doesn't exist on Windows 7, I've been pointed to setuperr and setupact in C:\Windows\Panther, err is empty and the other relates to the Windows install from 4 days ago, nothing today.

Procmon capture - Done, 1GB but managed to zip to 111MB, still a bit big though. Will FTP it.

Ticket number is #TICKET 30918 - Roll Back on Windows 7

11. nonoise

12. AndrewGVS

Ah, done and emailed to Eset UK Rep.

13. AndrewGVS

Looks like it's ESET detecting McAfee on the laptop and failing, well that's the guess from an ESI log.

There isn't McAfee AV on the laptop... BUT, there is Drive Encryption software as part of the HP Protect Tools Suite, and in the corner it says it's by McAfee.

I don't really want to have to uninstall all the HP software, or any of it, to get ESS installed.

Still waiting to hear again from support, have prodded them again today.

Bit worried, I've had to use it, and if I can't get ESET on it, it needs something, probably have to install Microsoft Security Essentials, does that play nice with ESET or will I have to uninstall it to attempt another installation of ESS in the future? I'm guessing so... *sigh*.

14. Marcos

If possible, upload the install and ESI logs somewhere and pm me the link so that I can have a look at them.

15. AndrewGVS

Did you get the PM and the files ok?

16. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Can't you just install McAfee and uninstall it?

17. AndrewGVS

It's not McAfee AV, and if you mean uninstall and reinstall the McAfee drive encryption software, it's part of HP Tools, and I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall all of that to put ESS on, what happens when there's a new build? Or will it function properly when it thinks there's McAfee AV running on it?

It needs to be corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.