ESS Firewall rules problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by varunit, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varunit

varunit Registered Member

I have an issue with Eset smart security firewall..

I am using it with interactive mode.. Each time an application needs to connect, I have given allow or deny according to my preferences. Everything is fine..

But whenever i don't shutdown my windows 7 system properly, the rules get deleted and have to start fresh again...

For ex.. I have allowed IDM to connect to internet 5 days ago and using it happily... But, today i haven't shutdown my system properly and the rules disappear.. Eset again blocks and prompts whether to allow access to IDM or not..

Please help me with this issue guys...

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Why is the system not shutting down properly? Did you check event view logs? Create system health report for more clues

does Eset revert to default rules?

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Before clicking 'Allow' or 'Deny', are you clicking the box that reads "Remember this action (Create rule)"? This should set the rules in place, so when you restart your system, the rules should still be there. Once all your rules are set, you can then switch to "Automatic Mode with Exceptions" so those "Allow/Deny" windows stop popping up. The following KB Article might help.

4. varunit

yes i have selected the option "Remember this action" and the rule created as i have already told in my previous post..

The thing is when i put my system in syandby mode and a sudden power cut in my house, i turned the power off..

The next time when i booted windows the rules disappeared.. Try this with your own box...o_O

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's probably because the PC is turned off in a way so the rules isn't saved when Windows shuts down, or something like that. The PC is not supposed to shutdown the way you explain.

Have you tried if they are saved if you shutdown the PC in a normal way via the menu in Windows?

6. varunit

No.. Please read my post carefully, As i said that the rules got saved and i'm using them happily... But an abnormal pc shutdown makes them disappear...:(

7. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi varunit,

Does it only happen with the firewall settings? What about other program settings? Are you only having problems with ESS on a PC with those abnormal shutdowns?

To be honest, I'd try first to avoid shutting the system down incorrectly since other (more serious) issues may appear. However, you may want to uninstall ESS and reinstall from scratch and see if that makes a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.