ESS Firewall conflict with Intel BG2200

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jfdnerds, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfdnerds

jfdnerds Registered Member

I installed Eset Smart Security on a laptop with Intel ProSet BG2200 wireless card, Windows XP Professional, it was using the Intel ProSet software to manage the adapter. There seems to be a conflict between the BG2200 driver and the Deterministic Virtual WAN Miniport, which shows a "!" in the Device Manager. The system was hanging when I tried to remove / uninstall ESET or either of those devices, WiFi was not working nor the wired LAN. The system also had SonicWALL Global VPN Client, which has its own Miniport, not sure if that could be complicating the problem.

It looks like I finally got ESS to remove and the device drivers for both BG2200 and Miniport. I think I'm going to try installing ESET first.

Update: OK I have BG2200 re-installed *without* the Intel ProSet software this time and this is working. I have reinstalled ESS and there is an error "The personal firewall is disabled..." In Device Mangler there is a "!" next to "Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual miniport - Eset Personal Firewall Miniport" and under Properties / General it says, "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

Update: Hah, just found this thread, looks like SonicWALL GVPN is probably the problem:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198570&highlight=miniport

Update: Yep, uninstalled GVPN and now everything works beautifully. I think one of the confusion factors was that the Miniport driver that comes with that version of SonicWALL GVPN does not show up in Device Manager, so if you hadn't thought to check that, you could bang your head on the keyboard for awhile trying to figure that one out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.