ESS Firewall compatibility with Israel 012.net ISP...?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Trapster, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapster

Trapster Registered Member

Hi guys, anyone PLEASE HELP? my partner had been using NOD32 v2.7 on her computer for some time without any bother but after recently being offered a free upgrade to version 3.0 she hit problems. After upgrading she found she could no longer get virus signature updates. She could use the internet just fine still, but the virus signature database was out of date. Support emailed suggesting her 3rd party firewall settings could be causing this problem and recommended changing those settings, she was using PC Tools Firewall +. Neither of us have any idea how to change firewall settings so after ruling out username & password issues on NOD32 (also mentioned in supports email as a possible cause) I decided the best solution was to migrate her NOD32 licence to an ESS licence thereby avoiding any firewall compatibility issues. I have been running ESET smart security on my computer since it launched in the UK without any problems so know the NOD32 and personal firewall modules are designed to work together so it seemed a logical choice. After uninstalling PC Tools firewall + and NOD32, then installing ESS we found she can no longer connect to the internet whilst the firewall is enabled. she tested disabling the firewall and she was then able to connect - we tested several reboots, uninstalling ESS then reinstalling it to find the behaviour constant; firewall is blocking internet access. On installation it detects the network connection, but whilst FW is enabled she cannot get a web page to work. The irony is when we tested disabling the firewall she could update the virus signature database. my partner is currently in Israel using 012.net as her ISP there; added problems we have are that I am in the UK and unfamiliar with Israeli ISP's or firewall settings as a whole for that fact, neither of us read/write or speak Hebrew so cannot decipher the 012.net website for help and they couldn’t speak English. I have explored the help files and ESET's website to no avail so I am now totally beaten, neither of us are computer experts, certainly never configured firewalls before; how do we configure the firewall for use with 012.net in Israel....what settings do we need? PLEASE HELP....? If it helps we downloaded ESS of the UK ESET website as I paid for it on my UK credit card, also no special configuration of the PC Tools firewall + was required for her to be able to access the internet....? any help greatly appreciated.

2. talash

talash Registered Member

Connection to Israeli ISPs is (usually) established using pretty standard PPPOE if you're on DSL and PPTP/L2TP if you're on cables and 012.net is no different than any other ISP in Israel in that regard, or theoretically different from any other ISP in the world in its function and the fact that NOD32 (or any other security software for that matter) does not make any difference between ISPs it connects to. It does not know how. Connect the same computer anywhere else to any other ISP and chances are you're going to have the same problem. What you're describing sounds like a clear misconfiguration of firewall settings which could, for example arise from mistakenly disallowing some vital component (like: pppoe/pptp/l2tp dialer or some system service) from accessing the internet. In ESET's smart security you have the settings in setup->personal firewall->configure rules and zones. Check to see what do you have disallowed under internet in/internet out/trusted zone in/trusted zone out. Delete suspicious rules. Make sure you're in interactive mode. Try again.

3. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

internet didnt work for me when there was automatic. i switched to interactive and it worked. i lived in the US, but my problem was very similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.