ESS / ESET Antivirus beta 2 available

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yeah, a little typo. That word can be tricky to spell IMO. The point is what the "i" looks like. The short text was just for fun to make it look like the real window (except for the typo - lol :ouch:).

2. raven211

Another thing I noticed.. There's no "Scan in the background"-button in the main-scan window. See attached image to see what I mean. Either it's "New scan", or it's through running the scan in a separate window, and *then* choose "To background". There should be such a button in the main window too - it's much more comfortable, and also makes the scan run in low priority if that is set, without having to go through the other stuff. (If you click on "New Scan" for example, then that's exactly your intention obviously. Not to just take the scan to the background. - It's not self explanatory, so there needs to be another button in place to make it nice and smooth.)

EDIT: Second thing.. It's by default set in the "Scan Options" that the log should scroll, though, when you open the scan in a new window where the actual scroll is, it's always unchecked - EVEN when you've checked it, it gets unchecked again!

Also, I've found another place for an important option - ** See second attached image **

Changes found in the image:

+ "Show scan with log in new window"-option has been added to the main window - great option/addition to also have there, comfortable
    + Now it doesn't look so tight - the options have been given some space, makes it look better overall

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  3. The Bruce

The Bruce Registered Member

I've searched the ESET website for a Smart Security product but can find nothing--what is it and how does it differ from NOD32 v2.7? Thanks in advance.

4. appster

appster Registered Member

This problem may or may not be an ESS issue as I upgraded to IE7 shortly before installing ESS beta2, but hopefully someone can address it.

Clicking on links no longer works! The only way I can get it to work is to right-click on the link and then click open. :doubt:

Fwiw, I'm running WinXP.

5. MovchanAV

MovchanAV Registered Member

ESET Smart Security is a new product based on NOD32 (AFAIK). It's a complete security suite with firewall, anti-spyware and anti-spam modules. Here is press release on ESET site about it http://www.eset.eu/eset-release-beta-version-2-eset-smart-security

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In order to move a scan to the background, you need to open the scan in a new window and then click on "To background"

It'd be a bug if you didn't scroll the window manually. Oterwise it's a feature.

7. Marcos

The string "Update Succesfully" doesn't exist in any of the rc files we use. We don't even use "Successfully" with capital "S" anywhere o_O

8. raven211

Okay, I think you've misunderstood everything about my posts sadly. I'll quote again the most important parts. Overall the most important thing is that I'm FULLY aware of where you take it to the background, but I don't want it to be complicated - now I'll quote what I actually written *SOON* in the post. YOU GOT TO READ IT ALL OR YOU WONT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT.;

"Either it's "New scan", or it's through running the scan in a separate window, and *then* choose "To background". There should be such a button in the main window too - it's much more comfortable, and also makes the scan run in low priority if that is set, without having to go through the other stuff. (If you click on "New Scan" for example, then that's exactly your intention obviously. Not to just take the scan to the background. - It's not self explanatory, so there needs to be another button in place to make it nice and smooth.)"

"It'd be a bug if you didn't scroll the window manually. Oterwise it's a feature."

Yes, I'm talking about a bug. I'll quote myself: "It's by default set in the "Scan Options" that the log should scroll, though, when you open the scan in a new window where the actual scroll is, it's ALWAYS unchecked - EVEN when you've checked it, it gets unchecked again!"

"The string "Update Succesfully" doesn't exist in any of the rc files we use. We don't even use "Successfully" with capital "S" anywhere."

Well, I'm glad it doesn't, since that was just a typo from me. He just corrected a mistake, but this is not a spelling competition actually, so I don't know why. It wasn't even the point. All I did was adding a text for fun. The point was how the "i" looked like on that tight space. You can read my previous post before that to see what I mean.

Now, if you look at the two images in my previous post, you'll see what I mean. The first is where the button would reside for sending the scan to the background. (Same position as when you take the scan to a separate window.)
    What this does is that it gives the user more comfort by broadens its possibilities to do different tasks.

The second one is an idea of a great option to add to the main-scan window. It's the same option that's found when bringing the scan to the foreground, in other words: "Show scan with log in new window".
    Again a thing to give the users more comfort, being able to do important tasks from different places. It also makes sense.
    I'll simply quote what was changed in that image so you know exactly.

"+ "Show scan with log in new window"-option has been added to the main window - great option/addition to also have there, comfortable
    + Now it doesn't look so tight - the options have been given some space, makes it look better overall"

Finally, a question I'd quoted myself was written on page number 2, so I'll write it again just to make sure it gets to attention. It might be important for you to be aware of too and obviously for the other users here at the forums;

"I noticed that Security Center is not saying only like this for the FireWall Status: "ESET Smart Security FireWall [...]", but "One or more FireWalls [...]", even AFTER rebooting to make sure that wasn't the "problem". Looking in Windows FireWall's settings reports that it's controlled by a Group Policy.
    Is this correct and why isn't Windows FireWall completely disabled?"

Thank you...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  9. veri

veri Registered Member

Yeah, he put that there to help illustrate his point - I haven't installed b2 since I've been running Nod32 AV after dealing with this problem several times, so I didn't know.

Wondering if any of the bugs fixed would have an impact on what I mentioned in the above thread.

10. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

I replicated the ESS (EAV) beta 2 update problem using Squid proxy both in transparent and non-transparent mode. Have to perform further examination to see what is a root cause of the problem.

11. zen_virgil

zen_virgil Registered Member

does anyone agree that the statement "System is Secure" in a blue rectangular shape with rounded corners that appears when u open ESS be retained? it's gone in beta 2. o_O

12. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

now says "maximum protection"

13. raven211

Mayth or Marco, could you read my whole previous post and respond to it?
    Thx a lot!

14. Marcos

Actually it's not that complicated, just my fault. Click New scan to move the current scan to background, that's it. Pretty simple.

15. raven211

Yes I know that it's simple, but that's what I'd written in the post; "It's not self explanatory." If you click on "New scan", you obviously want to make a new scan - it doesn't say that you put the scan in the background. I thought those additions that I talked about would only make so much more sense and comfortability.

To make it short:

1. THE FIRST ADDITION: Make a "To background" button in the main-scan window. I can't see a reason why it should only reside when you take it to a new window. There's the perfect same space just there.
    2. SECOND: Making "Separate window"-option available in the main-scan window - also only to make it more comfortable and make sense. The space is also too tight now between what is being scanned and "Bring to foreground"-option for example. Giving it some space makes it look better too. ** See my illustration. **
    3. THE BUG: Scroll log is *always* unchecked.
    4. THE FIRST QUESTION: Is Windows FireWall supposed to be "on"? It's being controlled by a Group Policy. Why isn't it ESS FW alone? Now it reports "One or more [...]" in Security Center - not "Eset Smart Security FireWall [...]".
    5. THE SECOND: Was the "i" looking the same in Beta 1? It appears for example when you've updated (or the program by itself, obviously). In that tight space, it just looks quite weird. Why isn't it a normal "i" as illustrated in one of my previous posts.
    6. THE THIRD (NEW): Why does the update option only say "virus signature"? We get to change options for program updating, so logically it should reside there too - either separately or together as a one-check-process.

16. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

I have this old freezing problem again that also appeared at 2.7 with certain files. To see what I mean download the DivX installer from http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXInstaller.exe - my computer freezes for about 20 seconds when the download is complete.

EDIT: ekrn.exe is using 99% of my cpu power when this happens. No other AV I trialed shows this behaviour. Please don't tell me this is normal or "there is nothing". I like NOD32 myself but this has to get fixed.

17. rusbadboy

rusbadboy Registered Member

Hello, I have the following problem with this new Beta 2.

I've noticed on Beta 1b that the license was expiring in 6 days and it told me to go download a new version, thats when I discovered that Beta 2 was out. So i uninstalled Beta 1b and deleted all Eset entries in the registry and the %AppData%/Eset folder too.

I restarted the computer and installed Beta 2, however the License expiry message still persisted, so I uninstalled again and completed the above procedures again, to no avail the message is still there. The icon remains yellow, and the message states "Maximum protection is not ensured".

Please advise me on how to fix this, as it is rather annoying. Thanks in advance.

18. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

19. Marcos

If this happens with advanced heuristics and runtime packers disabled then it could be a bug. Otherwise it's emulation or unpacking that takes so much time, maybe there are many files inside the archive that need to be scanned.

20. garyk

garyk Registered Member

Hi,
    I was trying to install the beta 2 version. I uninstalled the previous version, delete the folder and delete the register record and restart the computer. After that installed a new beta 2 version. It shows me that “beta version will run out in 6 days”?
    I don’t know what I should do and I was wondering if anybody could help.
    I run the XP profession OS.

Thanks,
    garyk

21. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

22. beksam

beksam Registered Member

I've that problem too. But I can't update, because I work through proxy server and ESS don't want update via proxy.
    How I can fix this problem? thanx.

23. devans123

devans123 Registered Member

I am running beta 2 on my Desktop and Laptop, both have Vista Ultimate.
    Beta 2 kills Windows Mail, as soon as Windows Mail launches the 'Program Has Stopped Working' window appears.
    Beta's 1a, 1b, had no problem.
    Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Dennis

24. p51d007

p51d007 Registered Member

No problems

Uninstalled 2.7, installed B2,(AV only)
    Dell E1505, 2 gig ram, Vista Ultimate. NO issues.
    Kuddos to the Eset guys.......the interface is MUCH MUCH better!
    Everything in one path. The tree for the options is a LOT better.
    Easier to navigate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  25. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the new beta 2 with great anticipation. Again I was greatly disappointed.

I tried to run a scheduled scan, and again like in beta 1, I couldn't get it to run with the GUI on the screen showing the scan in progress. I tried different combinations. I tried to set it up using the same settings that Blackspear recommends, and I have used, in his extra settings for NOD32 v2. I finally gave up.

Why can't Eset make it simple like the other AV software companies out there? It's so simple. Pick the drive you want to scan, the time of day, whether daily, weekly or monthly, click OK, that's it. Why make it so difficult Eset? End of my rant. I'm through with Eset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.