ESS / ESET Antivirus beta 2 available

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET has released a new beta version of Eset Smart Security beta 2 and introduced a stand-alone antivirus ESET NOD32 Antivirus (beta 2).

Both products can be downloaded from ESET's web site:

Eset Smart Security beta 2
    32-bit version: http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ess_nt32_ENU.msi
    64-bit version: http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ess_nt64_ENU.msi

ESET NOD32 Antivirus beta 2
    32-bit version: http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ea_nt32_ENU.msi
    64-bit version: http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ea_nt64_ENU.msi

The installers are designed to install over older versions. In the event of problems with installation, uninstall the current version you might be using and restart the computer prior to installing the new beta version.

Eset Smart Security beta 2 contains the following changes:

PROGRAM
    • The graphical user interface has been rebuilt.
    • Installers for Windows XP/2003/Vista x64 are now available.
    • Files and folders can now be scanned from the explorer's context menu.
    • Various bugs have been fixed.

UPDATE
    • Creation of update mirrored files is now supported. The mirror settings are available in the advanced update setup. For update via HTTP you can now choose the desired authentication method.

ANTISPAM
    • A plugin for Outlook Express and Windows Mail now enables filtering unsolicited email in these mail clients.

Please remember that this is still a BETA which may suffer from severe bugs. We do not recommend installing it on production systems.

If you come across an issue, please contact ESET's technical support via the integrated support form.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

tried updating current version, but says that license has expired and that i need to uninstal it....

or do i just need a new username/password for the update part? (still says essbeta)

3. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Let's test the thing.
    Curious to see what has improved

4. Marcos

The embedded username and password are still same. If you are not a registered user and have problems with the user/pass, uninstall ESS, restart the computer and install the new beta from scratch.

5. The One

The One Frequent Poster

First look is good. Works fast and secure

6. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

Can anyone say yet if the leaktest performance of the firewall has been improved?

Anyways downloading it now.

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

yeh did the uninstal/delete application data & registry entries, reboot & reinstal..
    license ok now

8. Marcos

Eset personal firewall is not a stand alone firewall. Any program that exploits the weakness demonstrated by a particular leak test should be detected and immunized before it can do any harm.

9. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

I know its not. But I guess its a question of you basic view of security design. I personally would prefer the firewall would block them as well, just to have an additional layer of security in case the AV component does not catch this specific piece of malware (Which does happen from time to time).

10. Marcos

Behavior blocker may not be more effective than detection of such malware by advanced heuristics. You can tweak a firewall to leak tests but not to all real malware that exploits some weaknesses. It's the purpose of the whole security suite to block malware, not just firewall.

11. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Only these small things changed as posted in your post Marcos?

12. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

You may be right about that... but I'd guess Matousec will take issue with that approach and try to disable what ever part of ESS blocks the leak test code, then report poor performance of ESS with respect to leak tests. Maybe that's just a marketing problem but it will be interesting to see how perceptions sort out.

13. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

running stable here, straight away with a fresh configuration xbox360 streaming working fine, remote desktop/vpn all work first time.

i like the coloured log, and the way you can open the firewall connections view in a separate window, nice feature. (one addition to that would be to be able to optionally keep that window "always on top"

beta 2 is looking & working great! i will try it on my laptop later and see if the problem still persists with the WPA2/AES encryption
    post here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183408

only thing i'd like to see in next beta or final version, is scheduling of firewall rules (e.g rules only active between whatever time period on whatever day/days i wish)

good stuff eset!
    cheers

14. veri

veri Registered Member

Also curious.

15. Marcos

Many other minor things have changed and remember that also a bunch of bugs have been fixed.

16. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

excludes still are not there - right??

And when are other email clients (non windows) be able to use antispam?

Ruben

17. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hoping for Mozilla Thunderbird here. The anti-junk filters are struggling at the moment with the new wave of spam, plus if i am going to buy the suite i would like to know i'm not wasting money on a module that will be disabled.

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Dunno if they weren't there before, but it's happily sitting in the settings, waiting for you. :rolleyes:

I noticed that Security Center isn not saying only like this for the FireWall Status: "ESET Smart Security FireWall [...]", but "One or more FireWalls [...]", even AFTER rebooting to make sure that wasn't the "problem". Looking in Windows FireWall's settings reports that it's controlled by a Group Policy.
    Is this correct and why isn't Windows FireWall completely disabled?

19. tosbsas

great, so I need to keep on hoping for the antispam :)-))

I am on Becky! - best there is

Ruben

20. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Downloading now.

Now installed, I removed my NOD32 and then restarted, installed beta 2 of ESS and restarted and all now working fine. Only one complaint so far, when I mark mail as "Not Spam" (could'nt a better phrase be used? i.e. "Safe") they change to an unread state.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  21. tosbsas

1. update on existing version worked perfect, didn't tell me to reboot though
    2. Update database hung once, but than run through
    3. I got a lot of files now in the alluser/eset folder
    - folder - oldfiles
    - folder installer - with 2 msi files (140b and 267a)
    - updates - lots of files

Which of those can I delete?

Ruben

22. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:D I installed the new ESS on two computers in my household: one with XP Home Edition SP2 and the other with VISTA Home Premium. The installation on the XP one went flawlessly. On the VISTA one, when I restarted it, the ESS logo/splashscreen hung on startup. It was the first thing to popup on the desktop and it stayed there for about 5 minutes. I finally had to force the computer to reboot by holding down the power button. But, after it rebooted this time, ESS loaded normally!
    I'll keep an eye on the VISTA one and see if there are any further glitches.
    But, excellent, excellent work, ESET! Thanks!:D :D

23. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

I like it. Good looking, no nonsense, lightweight and I'm sure also secure. I noticed that the tray icon changes it's colour to yellow when I disable e-mail protection. I only use webmail and don't need that. Please make it switchoffable without the tray icon changing its colour.

BTW, I wasn't able to install it on my first try. The installer rolled back and I had to reboot. On the second try it worked. I had no ESET product installed on this machine before. This problem also existed with beta 1. IIRC that had something to do with certain folders the installer tries to find (hence it worked on my second try when it found the leftovers from the first one). I guess this will put off some first time users.

24. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

i cant set the alert notifications "display baloon tips" or "close message boxes" any lower than 10 seconds..
    ideally 3 or 4 seconds would be enough for me... but whatever i choose it goes back to 10seconds

25. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Marcos,

Just to confirm, existing registered user of NOD32 2.7 can use the same User name/Password for this beta test?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.