ESS/EAV cann't be installed in silence mode(Enterprise editon)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ncfeiyang, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncfeiyang

ncfeiyang Registered Member

Now that we are testing on distribute EAV in Enterprise network .

As you know ,in 2.7 version .we can unpack the installer and add a XML file also some useful parameter such as /silentmode to make a new installer .this new installer is very useful .Because the install process is totally in backgroud .

But of the EAV/ESS version .I see ERA have add a "export installer " function .but seems the exported installer can't be installed in "silent mode " ,even so we have add a "/qn" parameter .

Any suggestions to solve this ? please help me! Thank you!

2. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi, I know that installing in silent mode using the 'export installer' option works. Can you tell us how you’re creating the package and what steps you’re taking?

3. atolica

atolica Registered Member

Hi

I am looking for the same thing. A way to silent install Nod32. I exported the settings t config.xml, but the old strings /silentmode and /cfg=*.xml don't work anymore.

Can you shed some light?

Greetings

4. atolica

The switches for NOD32 changed from version 2 to version 3.

Parameters for ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus should be typed after the name of the MSI
    installation package (e.g. ea_nt64_ENU.msi /qn):
    • /qn
    Quiet installation mode – no dialog windows are displayed.
    • /qb!
    No user intervention is possible, but the process of installation is indicated by a progress bar.
    • REBOOT="ReallySuppress"
    Suppresses restart after the installation of the program.
    • REBOOT="Force"
    Automatically reboots after the installation.
    • REBOOTPROMPT =""
    After the installation, a dialog window prompting the user to confirm rebooting is displayed (can’t be used along with /qn).
    • ADMINCFG=”path_to_xml_file”
    During the installation, parameters defined in the specified XML files are applied for the client solutions ESET. The parameter is not required for remote installation. Installation packages contain their own XML conigurations, which are applied automatically.

Insert the desired XML configuration exported from ESET Setup section and named cfg.xml to the directory where the downloaded installer is located. If you run the installer, it will automatically adopt configuration from cfg.xml. In case the XML configuration file has a different name, or it is located somewhere else, the parameter ADMINCFG=”path_to_xml_file”can be used. (for example ess_nt32_enu.msi ADMINCFG=”\\server\xml\settings.xml” to apply configuration stored on a network drive).

I HOPE THIS HELPS.
    I HAD ALLOT OF TROUBLE FINDING THIS. ESET IS VERY SECRETIVE ABOUT CORPORATE DEPLOYMENT METHODS. THEY LEAD US THINK THIS ONLY WORKS WITH ENTERPRISE EDITION AND ON TOP OF THAT IT'S UNDOCUMENTED. THAT'S NOT VERY NICE. BAD ESET, BAD BAD ESET !!!

5. atolica

Hey, it looks I answered my own question. That's weird.:eek:

6. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi atolica, we're definitely not trying to keep anything from our users, sorry you couldn't find the info you were looking for sooner.

I'd like to add that the vast majority of those who use silent install mode or other special install switches are enterprise users. When creating documentation for home users, we try to find a balance between providing good information but not overwhelming the 99% who will probably never use a certain feature. :thumb:

7. atolica

Hi

You should definitely change your point of view. There are allot of people out-there, who fancy deploying their OS's with unattended installations.
    I remember there was once on ESET website a pdf file that treated this issue, and included the old Nod32 v2 switches, 3 or 4 of them. I can't find it now. You probably changed your marketing strategy since then, but you shouldn't neglect home users that deal with this issues more often than you think. Just take a look over http://www.msfn.org/board/forums.html. You will see that there are allot of people who deploy their OS's+Apps unattended. Most of them are home-users not corporate engineers.
    Second, I don't see why a non-enterprise edition of any software can't be supported by it's developer to be custom installed. Supported by packaging method or by just an extra line in the help file, like for the old v2.

It'll be a plus for your company in the eyes of your clients and most important, in the eyes of potential ones.

I hope you'll see my point. Not everyone knows what msiexec /a setup.msi, but for those who know and might pay for your application (in your case a GREAT one), it will be a nice addition.

Greetings!

atolica

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  8. atolica

Hi Eryan

No time long see

Regarding custom silent installation of Nod32, is it possible to install it silently with all the up to date virus definition files? I tried this some time ago, by extracting the msi and copying the updated *.nup files to APPDATADIR\Updfiles, but it failed to install the signature database.

Atolica

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESS/EAV must be updated after installation, it's not possible to include the latest modules in the installers when creating packages.

10. atolica

Are you sure? I think it's doable. Nod32 msi comes bundled with some nup files, so I don't see why it's not possible to add the latest ones.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Even if you manage to do that, how would you digitally sign the msi installer then?

12. atolica

I'm not thinking of repackaging the msi. I'll just run the extracted 800kb msi with silent switches. But it won't work, would it? Then, I just have to find a way to sign the repackaged msi, and I know a few.

13. mkuntic

mkuntic Registered Member

You appear to be an enterprise admin of a Windows-based network. Why in the world would you bother to use MSI switches and the like when you have IntelliMirror at your disposal?

14. atolica

Hi guys

Did Eset change silent switches again? ADMINCFG doesn't work anymore for nod32 av v3.0.672 only for 3.0.621.

This command line used to work flawlessly until 3.0.672 version.

Nod32.msi ADMINCFG=config.xml taskkill /IM egui.exe /F REBOOT="ReallySuppress"
    Any thoughts?

Greets,
    Atolica

15. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

In my experience the ADMINCFG never worked and if it did in 621 you have stumbled over the one version where it did.

You have to name the XML-file cfg.xml and place it in the same folder as the MSI-file - that will work.

Then install it with:

MSIEXEC /I NOD32.MSI REBOOT="ReallySuppress" /qb-

/Preben

16. atolica

I am pretty sure ADMINCFG worked. I intentionally named the xml file config.xml and not cfg.xml and it always worked. Never hadissues like I have now with "Setup cannot find....." error messages.
    Also, I can't use taskkill function, only as a separate command.

Did that, now and before. Few issues arise.

Even if I setup nod32 the way I want it, I mean activating "advanced setup tree" view, I still have the plain view and also the "Show splash-screen at startup" is checked although I unchecked it before building the *.xml file? These options are not read from the xml file. Username and password get filled in, though.

Greets,
    Atolica

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.