ESS&EAV 4.0.437.0 issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by luminoso, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luminoso

luminoso Registered Member

There are problems that totally bad on ESET products:

a) When downloading .exe files on firefox at 99.9% firefox totally stops responding when ekrn.exe is working. This simply sucks like hell and happens for every download and takes a lot of time

b) ekrn.exe is NOT threaded and that sucks. It could at least be twice fast on firefox issue!

c) Remuneration! there is no remuneration for the virus that I submit to ESET. I pay you to keep me clean, not otherwise. I spend time to submitting unknown viruses to you and I am tired. I want some renumeration (and maybe open this idea to public in general??). This way new threats are detected and users are happy.

d) no auto-update. It simply sucks to download and restart the computer myself every new version of ESET product. And it is me who have to remember to check the download site every month if there is any new version available.

These are crucial things that frustrates me.

I would like to see some improvement on these areas.

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

a) is a result of a feature of NOD, it is using emulation to scan the files downloaded, you may turn off Advanced Heuristics in web access protection and it should stop doing this but it exposes you to the possibility of infection, not worth the risk in my opinion.

b) As far as I know ESS and EAV support multi threading, it's news to me that they aren't.

Good luck with c), I am not aware of any AV maker that pays people to submit samples nor do I see that as a road any of them would want to go down.

Totally agree with you on d), eventually they do release version upgrades through the auto update feature, I believe they are about to release 3.0.684 to the update servers so anyone still using version 3 will soon be receiving the latest version of that release. I do wish they were faster with it though but I do see that it helps to slowly release versions though.

3. luminoso

a) so that feature is garbage? If is needed to ESET detection rates and effectiveness it just needs to completely freeze firefox?

b) if it was threaded, it would use 100% cpu and not limited to 50%, I think.

c) I don't mean pay with money. remuneration could be free subscription months for example. or future discounts when buying. Also, if other AVs don't do it doen't mean that is not a good idea. Also, other AVs like avira, GDATA have better detection rates (Av-comparatives) and should probably don't need such thing

d) .............. any reason to delay it so much?

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It is threaded, it can use between 0-100 depending on situation.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, it's normal if you download large archives or files that take longer to emulate. Try setting a size/time limit for objects in the web/real-time protection setup.

2, files are scanned in multiple threads, ie. the system can pass several files to ekrn for scanning at a time.

4, the program component update policy has been explained here several times, try searching in the forum. You'll find out that ESET is currently rolling out update for v3 users to the latest version 3.0.684 which has been proven stable after several months as of its release. Unlike PCU, program modules, such as advanced heuristics, archive module, anti-stealth, firewall module, self-defense module, etc. are updated automatically whenever an issue was discovered and a fix was made.

6. luminoso

please think with me:
    a) no it is normal. normal it's having my antivirus product active without any notice that it's there. crashing opera/firefox and burning my nerves down it's not normal.

b) again: then emulation is not. ekrnl.exe on this firefox/opera issue can't use more that 50% of cpu (49~50% average)

c) you said that others AVs don't remunerate users. that's a lie. what is avira free? AVG free? a network that catch viruses. stupid/dumb users that use a free version are the ones more closer to new infections. that's good to improved and new virus signatures.

d) so. if I installed 4.0.417 by now i would have 4.0.437 and no thunderbird problems, right?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you don't like EAV/ESS, there are plenty of other AVs that might suite you better. However, you should bear in mind that no AV detects 100% out of all threats in the world and what one misses may be detected by the others and vice-versa. Advanced heuristics along with generic signatures enable ESET to detect a huge portion of new threats proactively.

8. luminoso

I have ESET and I like it. However I think there are things that may be improved. I'm the client and a guy I'm my position can decide if the next 100 machines I'll have ESET or not.

If I didn't care about ESET and your solution I haven't even posting here and losing time discussing things that are wrong with your policies.

And telling me to use other AV solution instead of talking and trying to improve things is not the best way to talk to your users?.

Also, you dind't respond to any of my last questions (#6)

9. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

Very good point.

10. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Good point indeed, however that's the way ESET does things, if you don't like it, one should look elsewhere.

11. luminoso

If it is, it shoul't be.
    I want to jump to conclusions.

a) what are eset doing to fix opera/firefox issue.
    c) what is eset doing to at least say thanks to who submit a lot of viruses
    d) what is eset doing to fix/improve this module/program update crap that makes me alert 100 users everytime a fix to eset/compatibility problems with thunderbird is fixed....

12. K12RS

K12RS Registered Member

Do you by chance have an Intel Pentium Processor that supports Hyperthreading?

If so, the architecture of the processor readily explains why you are seeing "only 50% utilization max" - you have only half the actual processors that the OS thinks you have.

Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.