ESS crashes when scanning file

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by lych, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lych

lych Registered Member

Every time I use ESS 3.0.621.0's on demand scanner to scan this file, it crashes my whole system and I have to reboot. The file is AVSredirect.dll and it is associated with FFmpeg and avisynth. I have been able to scan this file with Norton and Sophos and they both do not indicate it as a virus; however, it would be nice for ESS to be able to finish a manual scan without crashing. I have contacted technical support about this issue and I am waiting for a response. In the mean time, could someone download this file and verify this problem? I placed the dll in a password protected zip file so it won't crash the real-time scanner. The password is "password" without quotes.

Download file here.

2. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

So far the user support dpt was not able to replicate the problem. Can you add more details ?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What operating system do you use? I've scanned the dll in question on WinXP SP2 without any problems.

4. lych

lych Registered Member

@ mrtwolman

Hmm, well I did have Spy Sweeper installed at the same time (it was disabled however). Other programs I had running in the background were Sandboxie, Ad Muncher, and Any DVD. ESS wasn't running sandboxed btw. Is there anyway to launch ESS in debugging mode so I can generate a log/trace file up to the point when my system crashes? I noticed that as long as I keep this file in a protected zip file, my system doesn't crash.

AVSredirect.dll came from a program I tried a while back called SUPER (it is a variation of MPlayer). I couldn't stand the program, so i removed it, but it did leave some files behind.

@Marcos

I am using Windows Vista 32bit with automatic updates enabled.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use XP and have no problems with the file. I don't use any other security but EAV only , however .

Is it that you are unable delete the dll file and it is on your computer now ? You want it removed ? Use UnDll by ESET Italy:
    http://www.nod32.it/tools/undll.php
    http://www.nod32.it/tools/undll.zip

Extract the file , run the program and point it to this AVSredirect.dll
    UnDll will unload the dll and will delete it from your machine

6. lych

lych Registered Member

Thanks HiTech_boy. Undll was able to remove the leftover file from my system. I was trying to figure out why ESS was crashing whenever it scanned my system and I figured out that every time, it halted on this file. Just as a precaution, I will remove Spy Sweeper and use ESS only from now on (to avoid potential conflicts).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.