ESS causing SPYBOT to drag - why?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by OLDXTECH, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH Registered Member

When I run a SPYBOT S&D scan, it drags on and on unless I disable ESS Virus/Spyware. Looking at Windows Task Manager, with ESS enabled, the ESET file ekrn.exe is hogging all the cpu - with ESS disabled, ekrn.exe takes 0cpu and allows SPYBOT to take up to 99% of the cpu for a fast scan. I am wondering if ESS thinks SPYBOT needs to be checked for some reason.

Anyone have an idea what is going on and how to fix it, rather than shutting down ESS [I do this off line so it doesn't matter anyway!].

I am using the latest released versions of XP, SPYBOT and ESS.

Thanks.

2. freaked

freaked Registered Member

are you certain your spybot s&d is the latest? mine used to be real slow until v1.5.2.20 was released and now it scans much faster now.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

Poster "freaked" made already a good posting.

May I add something (although I have NOD32 2.70.39)?
    Why not scan in Safe Mode?
    Yes, that can take also some time; I know.

4. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

When I scan with Spybot my Task Manager shows ekrn.exe to sit at 0% while Spybot gets all the CPU power. Sorry but I don't know what is going on with yours. I have the latest version but there was no problem even with version 1.4.

5. OLDXTECH

Thanks for the input from you all. Yes, I am running the very latest SPYBOT and ESS as you listed and no, I don't want to run in safe mode as it is easier and faster to just disable ESS.

However, just for laughs, this AM I tried the SPYBOT scan, AFTER ESS had updated for the day. Guess what? It ran just fine and ESS didn't act up at all. Who knows what's going on? Can't fix it if it ain't broke. Since this problem only has been going on for a week or so, something must have changed and then changed again for all I know. This kind of stuff is what drives us all nuts.

If anything changes again, I will repost. I am still waiting for the SPYBOT
    team to respond to this problem and will advise if they come up with any meaningful comments.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In all cases Spybot S&D 's exe file can be added as an exclusion , just to prevent any possible conflict

7. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I've noticed ekrn uses up to 50% CPU when SUPERAntiSpyware is running - so I'll Exclude it too. (Edit: I did exclude and the Scan time really improved.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  8. OLDXTECH

Thanks for the tip. I have added SpybotSD.exe as an exclusion and will see how it works. It is still strange that all was well as I mentioned in my last post - but this can't hurt.

HOWEVER - It is not clear to me how this "exclusion" works. It would seem to me that to add it as an exclusion only keeps ESS from scanning THAT file. Whereas, what I think is happening is that ESS is acting up due to ESS checking what that file IS DOING. There is a difference here as far as I can see. Any explanation would be appreciated.

By the way. The team at SPYBOT suggests that I turn off ESS when doing their scan so as to avoid any conflicts. The basic rule is have only one thing going at a time. I know that you can't use 2 virus programs, but had been led to believe that multiple Spyware programs would be ok. I am running a total of 3 real time - ESS, Spybot and MS Windows Defender. Doesn't seem to be any problems letting them all run in the background - just this sometimes problem doing a full scale scan while the other hovers in the background. This still may only have been a temporary glitch as I have been unable to replicate it since the last several updates. I hope this will not occur again and if it does, I will just kill ESS during the Spybot scan.

9. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I have seen ESS find a threat while Adaware was scanning before. I don't remember the details because it was quite a while back. I've noticed on my system that when I scan with SUPERAntiSpyware ekrn.exe flashes 2 percent cpu usage once in a while. I take it that means ekrn is probably watching too. The last time I tried a scan with Spybot ekrn stayed on 0 percent.

I don't know what to tell you about your high cpu usage with ess but I hope somebody who can help comes along soon. That just doesn't seem right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.