ESS causes remote data file to disconnect (ex. QuickBooks...)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by thatcomputerguy, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomputerguy

thatcomputerguy Registered Member

ESS causes remote data file to disconnect

Good day.

I've got clients running ESSB with multiple computers on a local network.

In situation one, everything runs smoothly.... except....

One workstation runs quickbooks, which accesses a company data file on another computer on the network. Quickbooks opens and connects to the data file perfectly... and you can work within quickbooks just fine as long as you continue to work in it.

If you leave the workstation and quickbooks open.... and it sits idle for 20 minutes or so, the connection to the data file across the network is lost... and quickbooks needs to abort and be restarted, and reconnected to the data file.

I've tried many configurations and even turned off the firewall in ESS completely to no avail. If I uninstall ESS, quickbooks works just fine... no drops of the data file.

Situation two is very similar, just a different piece of software.

This situation is a small network, and the software is called "church windows". Workstations connect to a data file on another computer on the network... just as quickbooks does in situation one.

Users can work in church windows just fine after logging in to the "remote" data file as long as they are actively working in the program. However, if there is a break in activity (20 minutes or so), the connection to the data file on the other computer seems to be gone... and church windows closes.

Once again, removal of ESS on the workstation seems to be the only cure...

These 2 scenarios are on completely different local networks in completely different locations...

Any thoughts or ideaso_O I really need to get this resolved...

Regards,
    Dusty

2. thatcomputerguy

Re: ESS causes remote data file to disconnect

No thoughts on this at all? Not even what might be causing the disconnect?

3. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

This problem is very strange. Is a screen saver or power-save settings activated after 20 minutes?

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

my laptop (wireless) gets a slight disconnect during updates.. (even plain old virus definition updates)

e.g if im watching an avi from my server and ess auto updates, the movie stops, and media player says the file cannot be found, so i just browse for it again, .

or if firefox is open on my laptop, after an update i get "cache couldnt be saved" error in systray (firefox profile on server)
    was hoping it would get fixed, but will probably just remove ess from laptop, as these disconnects dont occur on my hardwired pc

5. thatcomputerguy

No... the monitor does shut off after a while, but you could be using the computer for other things and have quickbooks minimized, and 20 minutes later try to use it and it disconnects.

I've actually been conversing with ESET support thru email... and we are slowly getting to the bottom of it. I've got some settings changed, and with those settings changed AND the firewall shut off, it appears that the data file does not connect. As soon as I turn the firewall back on... 20 minutes later it disconnects...

So we're trying to get the final part of it.. If I come up with actual SPECIFICS, I'll post what we did to solve the issue completely.

Thanks,
    Dusty

6. PieterVSTA

PieterVSTA Registered Member

We see similar things here on computers in a business network. Applications that have open network files complain from time to time that the connection is lost. The ESS firewall is a disaster (ESS support too). Still working with version 3.0.642 as no Dutch translation is available of 3.0.650.

7. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

I have a similar problem. We have ESS installed on a Windows 2003 Server machine, with a number of client PCs running XP and W98. A very short time (maybe half an hour) after startup, all the client PCs lose their connection to the server.
    The only solution so far has been to uninstall ESS off the server.
    I need to get this problem dealt with soon - does anyone have any answer to the problem yet ?

8. diffy

diffy Registered Member

I think we have a similar problem also. Using v.3.0.650 on server 2003 & XP Pro workstations with a database application. The workstation db app loses it's connection to the server after 20 minutes (approx) of inactivity. Sometimes it drops out without being idle for long at all.:blink:

9. SteffenM

SteffenM Registered Member

There is a bug in ESS firewall on high network traffic.

Everytime I transmit high volume over network (backup, image etc.) the connection lose. If try disabled ESS firewall everything works fine.

This happens with 642 and 650!

I hope Eset work hard on this bug because usage on a server (ESS Business) with this bug is impossible.

Steffen

10. aztech

aztech Registered Member

same prob with quickbooks..

Having the same problem with quickbooks here, users at one of my clients has been getting a lot of disconnects to the database, since it doesn't seem to be occurring during active transactions, I am not sure if there will be database fragmentation or physical database errors however.. makes me wonder how much the database can take with so many users getting connected and disconnected on regular intervals.

So far I have disabled the firewall and added as many exclusions to the Quickbooks related files. I tried doing this on the server and the clients and have still been getting the error, so my latest change is to change the virus scanning to only certain file extensions on the server and clients, this should exclude the quickbooks related files from being scanned by real time scanning. Hopefully I don't have to do this on all the computers before I notice a change.

11. handy1forgod

handy1forgod Registered Member

Firewall disconnects PowerChurch and Quickbooks

I have been working with Eset off and on for over a month, trying to get the Firewall settings corrected to allow my two networked applications to function. So far no success from the techies and as of last week, I have been asked by staff to remove the Security software and look for an alternative. It's too bad since Eset virus software is soooo stable. :(

12. aztech

aztech Registered Member

Re: Firewall disconnects PowerChurch and Quickbooks

I wish someone from ESET would comment on this problem, I am having the same issue and will have to find another alternative to ESET in a few days. A LOT of companies use Quickbooks, and other similar programs...I still have 5 days on my trial for the company I installed the ESET software on, but looks like I will have to purchase other software.

13. aztech

aztech Registered Member

question to ppl having remote file disconnects...

Just wondering if people that are having probs with programs like quickbooks...getting constantly disconnected...have they tried using the other version of the software w/o firewall? just the anti-virus?

14. diffy

diffy Registered Member

We have 2 workstations that were not upgraded from AntiVirus to SS; they work fine. ESET has my SysInspector report. If they don't come up with a solution all of our workstations will be downgraded back to A/V. :thumbd:

15. feld

feld Registered Member

I'm also having issues with Quickbooks at our company, along with sqlplus sessions getting disconnected.

After doing a lot of homework when looking through the logs and taking notes I think I have tracked these disconnections down.

I think they are the Reverse and regular TCP Desynchronization IDS settings that are killing the connections.

I'm going to deploy new firewall rules and see if this fixes it.

16. diffy

diffy Registered Member

ESET suggested that we turn "Reverse TCP Desynchronization attack detection" off at the workstation. It has been working for 2 days on 2 PC's. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.