ESS Boot Hang Still Unresolved

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by philby, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello everyone

Don't know if anyone has actually fixed this, but it's still driving me nuts:

On boot, the ESS splash stays on the screen for about 2-3 minutes before disappearing with a screen flicker as the network taskbar icon eventually goes live and the machine can finally be used.

I've read all the relevant posts on the related ESS / AV threads and tried ALL the suggested fixes, including:

-disabling splash screen / adv. heuristics / scanning of net. drives / startup scanning / update at log on etc....In fact, I've tried just about all the GUI combinations available

-updating network adaptor drivers / disabling my second adaptor / booting with both adaptors disabled

-tinkering with StartupDelayer from R2 software to delay ekrn.exe / egui.exe

- disabling selected services a la Blackviper - including the Web Client service (which apparently solved the issue for one poster)

-uninstalling, total cleaning, re-installing after Winsock repair

ESS's machine locking behaviour is exactly the same whatever I do.

This is happening in exactly the same way on both a new Dell desktop and a new Toshiba satellite laptop with factory installs of Vista 32 bit Home Premium.

I have no other security s/w running and all windows security is off.

It's not the end of the world, but if anyone has a solution, it would make my day (I'm starting to see the splash screen in my sleep after so many attempts at a fix).

If I uninstall ESS, I get about a 30 second boot and a 10 second shut down.

Grateful to all in advance.

Philby

PS Have the same problem with NOD32 AV on old HP laptop (XP pro) and Vaio desktop (XP Home) after switching to V. 3.

Both of those machines boot fine with V. 2.7.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

what OS you have

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Vista 32bit Home Premium on both brand new machines.

Same problem on two old machines though with XP.

I just don't understand it.

ESS V.3 Hang:

Dell Inspiron Vista HP
    Toshiba Notebook Vista HP

NOD32 V.3 Hang

Sony Vaio Desktop XP Home (with Comodo Free Firewall)
    HP Notebook XP Pro (with Online Armor Free Firewall)

4. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

As your problem seems to be with laptops, I am wondering if there is some conflict with power saving modes. Does the problem happen when the laptops are started with the external power connected.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you connected via wi-fi? Does it make a difference if you connect via a cable?

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Jenee - I have this problem with a Dell desktop and a Toshiba laptop (also with the Vaio desktop and HP laptop that these replaced).

Marcos - I've always been wifi only and nothing in my set up has ever changed in this respect. With 2.7 AV plus OA free/Comodo firewalls on my old machines, boot time was never an issue.

The new Toshiba and Dell machines work fine on the network once ESS (or whatever the guilty service is) has finished strangling the network which doesn't go live for 2-3 minutes.

I'm pretty fed up of this now - I bought 2x3 year licenses and things aren't going well. I also have the weird "New Rule" in the firewall allowing everything out and the looping programme module update.:'(

Thanks for your responses.

philby

7. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, after much research I found this:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/110516-workstation-service.html

It is indeed Vista's workstation service. If I disable it, ESS is superfast at boot as the wireless network connection is no longer impeded by the workstation service startup lag.

Problem is, the workstation service is essential for file / printer sharing across networks, so for me at least, disabling it is not ideal.

I knew I was a dope to buy into Vista... WHY is workstation service delayedo_O?

Faith in ESS is now therefore duly restored...

(though I'm still wary of the firewall after seeing this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196118 ).

If this helps anyone who has had slow-boot-frustration, then that's good.

If anyone has found a workaround for the worksation service lag that doesn't involve actually disabling it, I'd be really grateful if they could advise.

Thanks to those who gave my problem some thought.

Philby

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to ask this - it's what put me on the right track...

Regards

Philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.