ESS Beta 2: Email Scanning

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by BarneyBadass, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarneyBadass

BarneyBadass Registered Member

NOD32 (don't know about version "3" but 2.7 and prior) scans mail in Thunderbird and puts a message at the bottom of the email stating it was scanned by NOD32.

No such msg is presented when ESS is being used. Did I get this incorrectly configured somehow?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thunderbird is still unsupported about this thing

3. crummock

crummock Registered Member

If you are collecting email using POP3 then my understanding is that it should work with almost any client (like Thunderbird) using teh generic POP3 settings.

4. BarneyBadass

Yup.. I'm using Thunderbird in POP3 ... Hmmmm....

I don't understand why NOD32 can scan the msg and put in a msg stating it did so but ESS can't do it..

5. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

true same thing here - no text anymore

Ruben

6. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

hey have you checked - I had set it to all messages - but now it was set to only infected

Ruben

7. crummock

I does append an ESS message if you get teh settings right, I've just tested it and it works fine.

By default it only appends to infected messages but you can change that.

8. BarneyBadass

So.. are you going to share with the rest of us what the "right settings" are or do we all need to crawl around and try to find them ourselves.. ?

9. crummock

I would have uploaded an image but evertime i try the page timesout.

As you asked so nicely I'll try to explain it instead. The setting I altered is:

"Setup, Advanced Setup, Email Protection, Append tag messages to received and read email". I selected "To All Email" from the drop down.

10. hwsmith

hwsmith Registered Member

I selected "To All Email" and when I came back to check the setting it had changed back to "Infected emails only" on both incoming and outgoing.

11. crummock

Didn't have that problem. It stayed where I put it.

Are you an administrator rather than basic user on the PC ?

12. BarneyBadass

Crum,

Sorry.. it came out harsher than I had intended.... I was certainly in a wee bit of a hurrry... (was headed off to a meeting.. so I was a tad rushed)... anyway, please accecpt my appologies...

Anyway, I did traverse your directions; made the aforementioned changes and then did a tad of testing.. it's intersting that what I'm seeing is sometimes I get a msg and sometimes I don't... I'll have to look at this a tad harder!

13. crummock

No Probs. All in the past.

I don't use POP3 normally. Normally I use IMAP which doesn't get scanned as I'm on Thunderbird.

I've just done some more tests uisng a POP3 setup to a test account I have and every single incoming email I retrieved on POP3 has the ESS message appended.

I assume you are using the standard port 110 for POP3 rather than anything different for your ISP (if you haven't set it to something else I would assume port 110) ?

If your POP3 retrieval is using any other port you can add it via teh POP3 setting a couple of lines further down in the ESS advanced setup referred to earlier.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas at the mo.

14. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Happens with me too.

15. hwsmith

hwsmith Registered Member

Yes I am logged in as Administrator in Vista Ultimate. The only way I was able to fix it was to do an export of the settings, edit the .xml file and then import the settings. What can I say, it worked.

I changed:

<NODE NAME="IncomingEmailTagLevel" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />
    <NODE NAME="IncomingEmailSubjectModify" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />
    <NODE NAME="OutgoingEmailTagLevel" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />

To:

<NODE NAME="IncomingEmailTagLevel" VALUE="2" TYPE="DWORD" />
    <NODE NAME="IncomingEmailSubjectModify" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />
    <NODE NAME="OutgoingEmailTagLevel" VALUE="2" TYPE="DWORD" />

16. BarneyBadass

Interesting; after rebooting my machine; now I'm getting the message "scanned" all the time..

Hmmmm..... I wonder if we are using re-boot as a "Switch" so that if I re-boot these messages will become random again? :D

Yes, I'm using POP3 and 110 / 25 so I dunno....

What might be really beneficial is if there were msgs that could be included like this:

Outgoing message scanned no virus found

Incoming message scanned no virus found

Something like that.... so if your message is forwarded on from some other machine and it introduces a virus then at least the recipient could figure out it likely didn't originate from your system.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.