ESS and Steam completely unworkable, now uninstalled

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by psychokilla, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I've now had enough and uninstalled my copy of Smart Security, it causes ridiculously bad problems with the Steam content delivery system produced by Valve Software.

I lag out all the time, my cpu usage is constantly around 100% and all my games will pause for a second at a time at random, making them totally unplayable.

I know that ESET is well aware of the problem as it's stated on Valve's support site that it's a known problem and they are, apparently, supposed to be working with you on it.

It would be nice to know what is happening and when we can expect a fix but I'm not waiting, it's getting uninstalled, I've now put 2.7 back in.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Have you tried excluding the application (its files/folders)...
    Have you tried excluding its traffic (HTTP) if it generates such...

3. JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser Registered Member

Hello HiTech boy and psychokilla, yes, I have found the same thing.
    I can not see anywhere, where you can EXCLUDE a folder from being blocked by the firewall.

The behaviour that psychokilla is talking about is quite simple, I would dare say that you are running a single core CPU? I say this because my system (dual core) goes to 50% cpu and sits there after startup, why? Because Steam is trying to load, if you look in your task manager you will find the Steam process is running at 100% CPU on a single core and 50% on a dual core.

If I create a rule for the Steam program it still doesn't work.
    I don't see a solution as yet.

ANyone else out there got a solution for Steam, oh and, FTP (Server's) and RDP and, well, actually, almost anything else trying to get in that you write rules for that see to get ignored?

4. psychokilla

Both wrong, sorry.

I've added the whole Steam folder (which covers all games) to the exclusion list and I have an AMD X2 4800+ which is dual core and should be more than capable of handling a game and a firewall (cos the game folder is excluded it shouldn't be doing anymore than that).

The problem is a known incompatibility with ESET products and Steam, as follows :

also...

Apparently it's even worse with the newer versions which is why I have rolled back to 2.7 until this is fixed.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser Registered Member

Incorrect, the article on Steams site says that there are known "stability" issues with steam, not the fact the the CPU runs at 100% (or whatever) and the fact that Steam doesn't start up.

I have since found a fix for my situation with ESS and this also fixed the issue with Steam as well.
    Half Life, Half Life 2 collection, Prey and the Sin collection are all working fine now.

I might suggest that you try this that was recommended by the user kC in this thread...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=193774

Hopefully this will work for you, it did for me.

Cheers.

6. psychokilla

Well since the post you linked to is for configuring the firewall to work with Remote Desktop, it's completely useless in this situation. Thanks for trying though.

The problem I was having is an incompatibility with Steam and NOD32 based products, it is known by both parties and they are, reportedly, working on it. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.