ESS 6.0.308.0 random CPU spiking

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Since i installed v6, i have been randomly experiencing CPU lag, spiking when CPU is at 100% load or near to it, Seems to be more prominent when watching you tube videos , or when a game is loading or running , disabling the web anti phishing protection seems to help a little, but my mouse will still stutter as will the sound and picture , any ideas, or any one else seeing similar issues ?
    BTW i suspect it to be ess EKRN.exe because i observed it hogging my dual core CPU for no apparent reason with task man

2. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Only time i have ever had something make ekrn behave like that was some form of malware that the a/v didn't pick up.

You tried running a scan using something else like malwarebytes ?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you disable Advanced heuristics upon file execution in the real-time protection setup, does it make a difference?

4. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

I think i have Found the cause, A programe called Pingplotter Pro, a network utility, that allows you to monitor latency .quality ect it basically pings any target of chioce upto 1 time per second, and can ping several different targets simultaneosly , it also displays a tracert , I have used this app for several years without eset displaying any adverse problems whilst it is running in the background, sometimes over long periods (24hrs or several days ) ping plotter uses little resources

But it would cause the EKRN.exe to start spiking hogging the CPU when i tried to watch a youtube video or other video, but youtube was affected the most, and even more problematic when i launched a game , as ekrn.exe was denying rge games process resources, and the associated sounds, ts3 was creating errors repeatedly as it wasn't able to access the sound drivers or process data correctly
    Until i stopped ping plotterpro, I then unchecked ICMP protocol message checking , only the covert data in IMCP protocol detection has needed to nbe unselected in previous versions to stop eset generating firewall logs, for every,ping and IP that i ping, even using windows CMD prompt
    There are no enties at all in the firewall log

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.