ESS 6.0.308.0 random CPU spiking

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Since i installed v6, i have been randomly experiencing CPU lag, spiking when CPU is at 100% load or near to it, Seems to be more prominent when watching you tube videos , or when a game is loading or running , disabling the web anti phishing protection seems to help a little, but my mouse will still stutter as will the sound and picture , any ideas, or any one else seeing similar issues ?
    BTW i suspect it to be ess EKRN.exe because i observed it hogging my dual core CPU for no apparent reason with task man

2. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Only time i have ever had something make ekrn behave like that was some form of malware that the a/v didn't pick up.

You tried running a scan using something else like malwarebytes ?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you disable Advanced heuristics upon file execution in the real-time protection setup, does it make a difference?

4. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

I think i have Found the cause, A programe called Pingplotter Pro, a network utility, that allows you to monitor latency .quality ect it basically pings any target of chioce upto 1 time per second, and can ping several different targets simultaneosly , it also displays a tracert , I have used this app for several years without eset displaying any adverse problems whilst it is running in the background, sometimes over long periods (24hrs or several days ) ping plotter uses little resources

But it would cause the EKRN.exe to start spiking hogging the CPU when i tried to watch a youtube video or other video, but youtube was affected the most, and even more problematic when i launched a game , as ekrn.exe was denying rge games process resources, and the associated sounds, ts3 was creating errors repeatedly as it wasn't able to access the sound drivers or process data correctly
    Until i stopped ping plotterpro, I then unchecked ICMP protocol message checking , only the covert data in IMCP protocol detection has needed to nbe unselected in previous versions to stop eset generating firewall logs, for every,ping and IP that i ping, even using windows CMD prompt
    There are no enties at all in the firewall log

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.