ESS 5 and Windows Live Mail 2011

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by cgeek, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

With SSL scanning enabled I cannot recieve my mail from hotmail or gmail. With SSL disabled I recieve my mail perfectly fine. I thought Version 5 was suppose to be compatiable with WLM 2011 with SSL enabled to scan IMAPS and POP3S?

2. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

I'm having the same issue, using EAV 5.0.93.0, but not only with WLM 2011, but also on Opera 12 & Outlook 2010. If I enable SSL protocol scanning, mails don't download, if I then disable it they work perfectly, happens with IMAP & POP3 secure accounts...
    Any workarounds or fixes? I had to disable the SSL scanning but I have a feeling of less security, maybe I'm wrong, but why is the option there if it doesn't do anything special...

W7 64bit SP1

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling IMAP checking under Web and email -> IMAP,IMAPS make a difference? If not, does disabling integration with your email client do?

4. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

OK, now I'm even more perplexed, the issue (that mails can't be downloaded) happens when I connect my laptop on my works LAN (via cable), but when I connect on my wireless home network everything is fine. I have my work network set as public but maybe there are issues with port blockings or SSL credentials on that network, right now I'm not at work so I can't try disabling those other options and everything is just fine at home.
    One more thing is that Yahoo IMAP (which uses secure ports) works flawlessly at work and at home & even more strange is that messages on my gmail IMAP account aren't fetched until one arrives for the yahoo IMAP account on Opera (while at work), and then everything runs normally, without me disabling the SSL scanning.
    I'm pretty sure there is something going on with the way EAV scans the SSL but the issue is probably triggered by my network setup at work (unfortunately I don't have any control over my works network). Outlook simply doesn't work at work when SSL scanning is on (no problem at home).

Thanks Marcos for your suggestions.

edit: PS (I just received a warning when trying to access a secure page via Chrome 15.x that points me to http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2588&hl=en-US, that suggests that I disable the SSL scanning, I'll probably do that and keep using EAV without that since I guess It'll still catch viruses with other redundant checks).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

I'm trialing ESS 5 and found out that it doesn't support Windows Live 2011. there is no toolbar, but what's most important to me, it does not append the "checked by..." signature on outgoing mails. very disappointing!

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scanning in WLM 2011 works fine here with v5. If you right-click a message, you should see an "ESET Smart Security" entry. As for tags appended to scanned messages, they are disabled by default. Open the main setup, navigate to "Web and email" -> "Email client protection" and select "To all scanned email" below "Append tag messages to received and read email".

7. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

thank you for the quick response. I already made that setup "To all scanned email" for the outgoing mails. It didn't worked in WLM (but was ok in Outlook 2007). I will check that right-click on the message.

update: I can see the "Eset Smart Security" entry when I right-click the messages, they are scanned. but no signature appended on outgoing mails in WLM2011. just for clarifying: the signature is appended in Outlook, same e-mail account in both WLM and Outlook.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.