ESS 5 and Win7 task scheduler

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BellaBoo, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

hello :)

2 things i want my computer to do on a schedule: scan and then a backup.

my computer goes to sleep after 30 minutes of idle [i like that], but my stumbling block is that it doesn't 'wake up' for my weekly scan [in prep for backup].

under power options, i've asked it to 'allow wake timers', for which i believe should work for my ESS scheduled scan!

i've 'allowed' win7 [instead of my backup program] to 'control' my backup schedule and in task scheduler, i've ticked the 'wake up' box.

but i'm at a loss in understanding how to set up a win 7 task schedule to perform a computer scan [in prep for the backup] because it appears that the computer being in sleep mode, doesn't 'wake up' to perform the scan scheduled in ess 5 [despite having ticked the 'wake up' box in power options]!

does my post sound a tad frantic!??! it's been a few weeks and i'm still trying to work it out and here it is, friday night, it's gone 1am and here i am on the computer trying to make sense of it all.

is there anyone out there who can help me with this?

step by step screen cap instructions would be most welcome :)

much thanks for any assistance and guidance, gratefully accepted :)

2. BellaBoo

can no one tell me how to set win7's task scheduler to run an ESS5 scan!?!?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unlike Windows Scheduler, ekrn falls into sleep mode like other processes so it cannot check if conditions to run a task have been fulfilled. I'll add it to the wishlist so that the developers investigate if it's programatically possible to accomplish it. What I can suggest is that you create a task via Windows Scheduler that will run ecls.exe with the appropriate parameters to scan the desired folders.

4. BellaBoo

hey marcos :)

thanks for the info and thanks too for adding it to the wishlist! i'll delete that task i created yesterday using ekrn.exe.

ok! let me see how i go with that...

thanks so much for your help :)

5. BellaBoo

ok! i've gone ahead and altered the task from ekrn to ecls. am i right in assuming that ecls is the executable for performing the scan that i've set up in ess5's scan scheduler?

i ask because there is no facility in win7's task scheduler to indicate the appropriate parameters to scan the desired folders; those i have set up in ess5's scan scheduler to perform the very task i am trying to set up in win7's task scheduler.

maybe i need to rethink this whole thing; it all just seems too hard...

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Ecls.exe is a standalone command-line scanner. For a list of available parameters, run "ecls.exe --help".

7. BellaBoo

right, so i plugged that [and other variations] into 'run' and had no success. so i ran 'cmd' and plugged it into that resulting with ' "..." is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'.

it doesn't help that the cmd line points to my d:\ drive when the exe is located on c:\ - it wouldn't let me change it, nor did it recognise the c:\ drive string pointing to the location of the file.

so i guess i'm having to rethink the whole thing; so very tiresome really...

nevermind. thanks for all your help marcos :)

i hope the developers find a way to make it happen.

8. BellaBoo

just letting you know that the scan occurred as a scheduled task as did the backup.

i checked my computer a half hour after the start time and found that the scan was running *yay*; i set the task to 'start a program' using 'ekrn.exe' and the scan i had designed and scheduled to start at the same time in ess5 was triggered!

excellent result :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.