ESS 5.2.9.1 install hang, depending on options selected

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by txhawkeye, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txhawkeye

txhawkeye Registered Member

Thought I would pass along a problem I ran into today trying to install ESS 5.2.9.1 on a Windows 7 (64-bit) platform. It looks like it may be a bug in the install process. It is completely reproducible on my laptop; it may not affect everyone.

After specifying installation options for a custom install, the install started, the progress bar updated up through the point that the install was complete. However, the install Window remain displayed and never went away. There were several installer processes still running. Clicking 'Cancel' on the installer window did nothing (the window didn't close). The install was locked up. On shutdown, Windows complained that a process wasn't responding.

This was completely repeatable with the same option choices (custom install, install to default directory, "I don't use a proxy server", default automatic update parameters, "I agree to participate in ESET live grid", enable detection of potentially unwanted apps, use interative mode)

I found that the install would behave normally if I changed the following options:
    . Uncheck participate in Live Grid
    . Disable detection of potentially unwanted apps

(I could manually enable these features after the install completed)

So, I don't know if I'm the only one to run into this, but thought it best to post my experience in case someone else hits the same problem.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you changed the firewall mode to interactive, then it's a known issue. To work around it, just install ESS with default settings and configure it after installation.

3. txhawkeye

txhawkeye Registered Member

Thanks, Marcos.

I searched the forum for installation related problems before posting, but didn't find anything that matched what I was experiencing.

I would also mention that I've always installed with 'interactive' ... including prior installs of 5.1.9.1. The problem occurred when I selected live grid and detect unwanted programs, during the install, which I hadn't done before. The problem went away when I opted out of live grid and disabled detection of unwanted programs ... while still selecting 'interactive'.

So merely selecting 'interactive' doesn't cause a problem - it may be caused by the combination of selected options.

At any rate, I've successfully completed the install. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.