Eset vs. Anti-Malware.ru

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sergey Ilyin, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergey Ilyin

Sergey Ilyin Registered Member

Dear friends and colleagues!

I need to make the following very important statement. Unfortunately, the Russian representative office of ESET, backed by Leta-IT, is continuing to discredit the Anti-Malware.ru portal, the Anti-Malware Test Lab and me personally.

Recently, it has come to my attention that ESET, at the suggestion of its Russian subsidiary, is conducting a propaganda campaign (particularly in the West) in which they claim the portal is associated with Kaspersky Lab. Their actions very nearly jeopardized the alliance with AV-Comparatives. Evidence of the ESET subsidiary spreading false or distorted information has come to my notice on several occasions over the last few months.

The final straw was when a scanned image of my passport started circulating with my real name (rather typical of the company’s style, wouldn’t you say?) in an attempt to prove that I work at KL. I’ve never actually tried to hide the fact that I work for KL (read here).

What’s all this about, you may ask. What kind of threat does Anti-Malware.ru pose to ESET? It’s all perfectly simple:

1. Our tests. The results have put a proverbial spanner in the works when it comes to ESET’s strategic advancement of their products. Say what you like, but at the end of the day, their products don’t perform as well as their advertising or web site would have you believe.

2. An unsuccessful takeover attempt. In a word, it is straightforward blackmail: "Sell us your portal or we’ll shut you down by waging an information war!" Alexander Chachava, CEO of Leta-IT Company, and Dmitry Popovich, ex-CEO of Eset Russian, were involved in the negotiations. The latter hinted several times that the portal would suffer the consequences if there was a refusal to sell. I can’t stand being threatened or blackmailed. So go ahead, try and shut us down!

In connection with the facts outlined above, the Anti-Malware Test Lab is forthwith severing all ties with the Russian subsidiary of ESET and Leta-IT.

This statement was officially posted in my blog
    http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=node/50

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

**** em Sergey, just ban them from the tests.

Andreas would have if his passport (or scanned image of it) was leaked. :)

kaspersky have not really been top-scorers in your test, so i dont see the problem.
    Although, i would expect kaspersky to be top, or near top..... but people would start commenting on that in a negative way, either way you cant win Sergey.

;)

when is the next arriving?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Damn, Chris is he saying Eset tried to black ball him.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i just think Eset are not happy with the medicore/poor test results in some of the tests, and are trying to discredit him. :rolleyes:

they are soooo used to Advanced+ from Av-comparatives.

Sorry Paul, (i know your lurking....) but even you must agree (if this is true), that Eset have crossed the line here.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would say they have done more then crossed the line in my book. I mean there are 2 sides to every story but if true, well, let me just leave it at that.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if its true will be what keeps popping up......

but, i dont see why (if not true), would Sergey come and post on here to the world :D

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well said. ESET boasts their products on their website pretending and claiming all kind of questionable statements like: "Antivirus Experts Agree: ESET is the "top choice!"" - what experts? where is eset the top choice ?? and another one: "the industry's first tightly integrated security software: antispam, antispyware, a personal firewall, and our award-winning ESET NOD32 Antivirus software." :rolleyes:

8. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Sorry to hear all this. Not the tactics you would expect from a softwarecompany. They sound a bit desperate (yes, a huge understatement).

I wonder what they thought they'd gain by playing dirty games?

(No, I don't work for KL - maybe I should send a scan of my passport to ESET to verify that... :thumbd: )

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Ok.

IF THIS TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE, it would be very serious. But I think we should wait until we know more details abouts this, maybe a ESET statement or something. Until then, I won't be judging anybody.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just because its posted on the Internet (or this forum) does not make it true. Yet, most of you are just assuming because he wrote that ESET is out to get him that they must be. I have to ask where the proofs are located? When I click the link to his blog site, I only see a copy of what's in the first post here. The same statement that there is a war and ESET has done something bad, but, no facts are actually provided. This is not dissimilar from any good conspiracy theory - provide a statement that some people would like to believe, with no way to disprove that its true.

He's made a very serious accusation here. Believe it if you want, but, I'd hope someone other than me would at least ask for some proof and not just say "well, he wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't true now would he?" After all, what does he gain by making such a sensational blog entry and then posting it here on Wilders? As for ESET making a statement, that's one of those no win situations. What could anyone possibly write to prove they didn't do something that was supposedly done in secret and behind the scenes in the first place?

That said, I have a statement about this thread and just what is on-topic and what is not...

For all those who want to jump on the let's bash ESET bandwagon because they see a juicy anti-ESET thread, this thread is about claims by Anti-Malware.ru about the actions of ESET and Leta-IT. That's all. It is not about ESET's malware submission policies, support postings, or any other thing you don't like about them. As such, posts about submissions and other off-topic commentary are all going to be removed after I post this reply.

If you are going to reply here, reply "on topic" to this thread, but leave the malware submissions and other support complaints out. That's not what this thread is about. This is a thread with a very serious accusation being made and only serious replies about those claims will be allowed.

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I have a couple of issues:

1. It would show a lot more integrity if Sergey posted on EACH TEST performed, that he has a current or past affiliation with Kaspersky or other vendors. That information is not easily available to those looking at the various tests. People can then make up their own minds.

2. What is the purpose of posting on this forum? What do you expect forum members to do? How can your reputation be damaged if you don't disclose your true identity? If you feel you are being attacked unfairly, why don't you seek the appropriate legal remedy?

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How do you know that they(Eset) don't already have it, but decided you were to unimportant to bother with?:p

13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

According to AV-Comparatives, your strategic partner, Eset's NOD32 does perform well and has been awarded AV of the year for the past 2 years. What gives? o_O

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It wouldn't be the first meltdown seen here at Wilders.

15. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Yeah, I know. Sorry, I lost my temper there for a moment. Just wanted to say that I'm no KL fanboy (which probably had been easier w/o my avatar).

Of course I can't be sure that all this is true. I haven't seen the other side of the story, but if it IS true it's outrageous.

Gonna get some well needed sleep now o_O

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I say there are 2 sides to every story. I would suggest that proof be posted here in 24 hours or delete this thread.

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think it would be better to wait and watch on this one.....:ninja:

Until then, the only comment I can decisively make at this point is that there are indeed two sides to every story, and there is no need for either side to do anything to start a dogfight. Why can't companies solve issues peacefully and amicably among themselves rather than putting up "campaigns" to get people into their support?

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

<BTW, I do, however, believe that sending scans of Sergey's passport, if that is true, was going too far. But let us see what transpires>

:ninja:

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Where's the eset response? ...if there's any :gack:

19. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

There is two sides,with out proof its all rumor.

20. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I don't think that Sergey made up this story. More and more people write and publish that Eset is a lot of hype. And Eset slams them, so it seems. Not good at all. They already have a strange background.

21. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I would also like to hear ESET's side of this case. I don't believe Sergey, without any proof. It's easy to twist the truth you know.

Also, why do you keep posting these thing on the forums? What will it help? It just make it WORSE! Can't you understand that? Also, I don't care about your statement, your site or ESET's message to you. I care about the protection of my antivirus. If ESET does these kind of things, so what? It's non of our business. I can be sure these things happens with all software vendors. As long as they protect us well, they can do everything they want, if it doesn't affect it's customers.

Some may think this is wrong, ok, I fully respect that. This is just my opinion. First it was AV-Comparatives and Panda, and now this. So tell me. How did it end with AV-C and Panda? Yes, nothing changed. It was just a useless thread with bashing and how much someone hates Panda. What will this end as? The same! (If not the moderators keep it on a safe road).

You are really trying to bug them now, aren't you?

Summary: It's no good doing this. I don't see the point.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Now, what would be the fun in doing that? Besides, if every unproven assertion were to be removed from these forums, it would probably cut the database size of these forums by 50% or more.

Whoops - I just made an unproven assertion. :argh:

Verbally or in writing? If the latter, give us a link so we can read it. If the former, it's "he said, she said" -- hearsay evidence. Of no forensic value whatsoever.

I would hope that AV-C does not ever ally with your testing organization, nor with ANY other testing organization. In my view, AV-C's independence, both actual and perceived, is essential.

23. Galaxykiss

Galaxykiss Registered Member

great idea at all.

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I haven't heard about any "campaign" led against that tester, but have inquired my colleagues about that. Criticizing a flaw methodology is somewhat different than intentionally leading an anticampaign against a certain tester. It's a matter of fact that the methodology they used (e.g. re-packing samples and thus creating new malware) has been criticized by all antivirus vendors for a long time and it's not accepted by the AV vendor community whatsoever.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

This is a very meager answer and again faul attack...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.