ESET version 4 problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by newbie2247, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

IThe day I received ESET's email to me announcing v4 was realeased (and no longer beta) and provided the links for downloading and installing, I did so.

I used all recommended default settings as I am a home user with no particular needs.

Immediately the you-know-what hit the fan. So I went over the settings one by one to make sure they were OK. Fine. Then I sent my husband a copy of the release email (as he too uses ESET on his (totally separate from my desktop PC) laptop. It would not SEND. I tried again, nothing. It kept saying I was trying to send spam.

I wrote to them and got nowhere. So, I uninstalled it, did a restart, installed it again and same problem. It's got to be v4's spam module or the firewall. There's a BIG BIG in there somewhere. I have Vista Premium which comes with Windows Mail (not Outlook Express like XP had) and hubby has Vista Basic and he uses Mozilla Thunderbird. He too had much problems. Like me, he uninstalled it and he is now using all freeware. I finally had to go back to v3 until I can find out what the deal is. I want v4 badly as I have a 2 year paid for subscription and I should obviously get what I'm paying for, correct?

Anybody else having problems with version4 or am I the only unlucky one?

2. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

Hi. Try and disable the antispam module and try again. If the trouble is with the antispam module - maybe you should try to play with exclusions for Windows Mail\Thunderbird.

I'm using The Bat! 4.1 - no problems here...

3. newbie2247

We tried disabling the anti-spam module. That didn't help. Actually, that was the very first thing we tried.

As far as playing with exclusions go, I'm afraid I'm too dumb to know what that means or how to do it. Would not dare to call myself an advanced user.

Maybe you can give it to me in "Language For Dummies" if you wouldn't mind pls?

So, you are using v4 with no problems? Lucky you! What o/s and email do you have? Just curious is all.

4. SEMEYE

SEMEYE Registered Member

a lot of us here have had problems with v4, especialy with the firewall.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The antispam module checks only received email, sent email can only be checked for threat presence. It'd be great if you could post here the whole message you got as it must be coming from elsewhere (other sw or maybe your ISP).

6. newbie2247

I should add that when we were troubleshooting version for, we couldn't even send TEST emails to each other or ourselves without getting a prompt with an error message and number indicating we were trying to send out spam.

Mind you, our computers are totally separate and in no way connected to each other at all.

That day, I also spent at least an hour with my IP and he did all sorts of tests and was a saint. We concluded and proved it was NOT the IP.

So now what do I do?

DRATS!

7. newbie2247

"a lot of us here have had problems with v4, especialy with the firewall."

Ok, this I believe. What forum do I go to read those posts and replies please? I'm frantic.

Thank you very, very much for that info.

I love ESET and that's why I signed on for 2 more years but my biggest problem is my ignorance, lack of techie knowledge and techie speak especially as well as NOT being an advanced user. That's why I need all you great minds out there. (We all have different weaknesses and strengths in the real world.)

(Frankly, many people around the Internet think it was released way too early. This I learned surfing around the day I was attempting all my troubleshooting.)

8. newbie2247

Thanks Marcos:

"The antispam module checks only received email, sent email can only be checked for threat presence. It'd be great if you could post here the whole message you got as it must be coming from elsewhere (other sw or maybe your ISP)."

The only way I could do that in to uninstall my version 3.0.684 completely, restart and install version 4 again. You think I should try that for resolving the problem here maybe?

In essence what it said was that I was trying to send spam - even after I disabled the spam module. Go figure.

Nobody here has seen this problem yet?

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

CeBit rules again.
    @ newbie2247
    I would wait for 4-6 weeks for ESET to address some of the known bugs, before you UNinstall your existing V3, and INstall V4.
    Cheers :)

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the problem occur with ESS uninstalled?

For better imagination, I'd suggest that you take a screenshot of that message so that we can try looking it up on Google. It's certainly not coming from ESS.

11. newbie2247

When version 4 is uninstalled and I'm using version 3, no problems other than constant non-stop DNA & ARP poisoning attacks 24/7. Cripes, after all these years one would think that they could fix that!!!

I cannot take a snapshot Marcos unless I uninstalled V3, downloaded and installed V4 again.

See my conundrum? I've paid for a 2 year renewal and I can't even use the dang thing. God hates my guts. (just kidding)

12. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

I have the same problem with ess v3... but ess v4 has more problems. I have licence until 2010... but I think I buy another antivirus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.