ESET uninstaller

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jamtoday, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamtoday

jamtoday Guest

Hi

I have a new PC running Windows 7 64-bit.

The ESET uninstaller is no longer present in the list of programs which appears when I click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features. However, it is still listed when I click Start > All Programs.

This happened when I first installed NOD32 a few days ago. On that occasion I uninstalled it and reinstalled a new copy.

Any idea as to what might be causing this? I have scanned my pc for viruses and all is clear.

2. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Hi there.

Most anti-virus software, as you probably know, is notoriously difficult to remove in its entirety and ESET is no exception. I had the same problems you described and followed the advice described here: -

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289#Win_7

After this procedure I was still left with eamonm.sys in C:/Windows/System32/drivers.

I removed this driver with Unlocker available here: -

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

Finally, I used Registrar Registry Manager Lite to search the registry for all entries labelled ESET. I would only recommend this final step if you are prepared to meticulously check all entries produced by this search as you could easily bork your system by deleting a non-ESET entry.

You are still able to delete registry valued with the Registry manager Lite (free) version if you right click on the selected results from search and hit 'delete selected registry keys and values.'

Hope this helps!

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. twichert

twichert Registered Member

I work with a rather large number of NOD32 installs in an environment where there is no way to predict whether or not a machine is reachable for push (un)installation. I have had to get a little crafty when doing internal rip/replace to bump versions up (4.0 to 4.2 was the latest).

Here's some VBScript I use to invoke NOD32's uninstaller. Before and after this script I have some other automations to track everything and make everything compatible between Windows versions and architectures, but this part seems to be the thing I see a lot of posts on.

-t-

~Code removed for review.~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
  5. twichert

twichert Registered Member

As the script is apparently under review, I'll just tell you what it does.

1) iterate through entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

2) look for any subkeys with DisplayName key equal to "ESET NOD32 Antivirus"

3) execute C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\callmsi.exe with /quiet /forcerestart /uninstall against the subkey name in which the string was found.

This is handy because NOD puts the uninstall info in the registry as a GUID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.