Eset takes all the CPU power

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Majesty, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majesty

Majesty Registered Member

Hello,

I don't really know why, but I think after a download (BitTorrent), ekrn.exe takes all the CPU power. Is that a known problem or a feature against BitTorrent? ;-) I have to reboot to solve the problem.

Someone else is experiencing this?

Thank you.

2. TheBozz09

TheBozz09 Registered Member

I think it is normal for the "ekrn.exe" to drain CPU's usage up to 100% if you have set its virus scanning settings to maximum. What I mean by maximum is that you checked all that applies on its scanning settings.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I think I have the same problem with utorrent and nod32 v3, I hope Nod32 fixes this soon.

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Not sure if this is the case but I use µTorrent and have it 'ticked' in the browser section in HTTP in the advanced bit in NOD.
    Maybe mines scans as it's coming in instead of when the torrent is finished but I don't get the big CPU spikes on my PC.

5. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

transfer protocol of BitTorrent sends small parts at a time, they are not always (read: never) in line of each other, so you could dl part 1 and then part 457890 then part 2. scanning as its incoming will produce nothing i believe, it must be done when file is complete, or a significant part of the file is complete.

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

exactly correct - and then you have to remember that torrent downloads are often (read 90%+) - huge archives- which have to be expanded and THEN scanned.

There used to be a setting to change the filesize whereby a file was scanned in passive mode - I'm at home and don't have EAV on this machine, but perhaps someone can find that setting (if it's still here).

I have the torrent program I used to download game demos with setup as with the little red X - there are 3 settings in Eset Smart Security for program compatibility...

hth

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.