Eset SS5 warned of CCleaner download

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ngjackie, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngjackie

ngjackie Registered Member

I was trying to download CCleaner (http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup312.exe) when my Eset SS5 warned me of the download and terminated the connection as just the download was complete. I was quite surprised by the alert message. When I tried to scan the download and download another copy immediately to verify the detection, nothing further was detected and shown. I checked out the log and the detection is obviously there:
    Any idea of why this happened?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I was not able to reproduce this with ESET Smart Security v5.0.94 running virus signature database 6593. Is the problem still occurring for you? If so, can you tel me which version ESET Smart Security you are using, and the version of its virus signature database?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. ngjackie

ngjackie Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, Aryeh Goretsky.

It happened unexpectedly and only once. I can no longer reproduce the same result. It was ESET SS v5.0.94 running virus signature database 6589 that I was using when it happened. Without performing an update, I repeated the steps but the detection was no longer reported. I was wondering if it could be a false positive or program/ system bug that caused the surprise detection.

4. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

CCleaner comes with a toolbar you can refuse to install but AV's can at times pick them up during install and flag them!

Try grabbing the slim version instead (available 1 week after initial release)!

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.