eset Smart Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jpcummins, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I currently have ESET Nod32 Antivirus 9.0.408.0; I recently purchased ESET Smart Security. My question is should I remove Nod32 before installing Smart Security. If so, will I experience any problem removing Nod32 with Revo UninstallerPro? As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you dont have to it will usually be okay doing that BUT i always recc it. you are much safer removing nod32 and then installing ess. personally unless you need the anti theft feature i recc just using the internet security version. i find it lighter then ess for some reason internet security just seems to run better.

3. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

4. jpcummins

I removed NOD32 yesterday and installed Smart Security. The NOD32 program I removed ran fine along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium) and ZoneAlarm Free. But for whatever reason my computer froze several times; today I tried again with the same results so I removed Smart Security. It seems, at least so far, that my computer is back to working as it did. When I installed Smart Security I didn't remove MBAM or ZoneAlarm I just stopped them from running so I don't know if this would make any difference or not. Before I reinstall Smart Security I wanted to ask the members if anyone else had experienced any problems with Smart Security. My system is Windows XP Professional, 32 bit and yes I know I need a newer operating system but I don't intend on doing it to this computer. As always any and all replies will be appreciated and I would thank you in advance.

John

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If ZoneAlarm is a firewall then you are probably conflicting with the firewall in ESET Smart Security.

6. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

It's just because ESET after version 8 became heavy on your system resources . Get ESET Smart Security version 8. And you will be all set. Also uninstall ZoneAlarm and get https://www.malwarebytes.com/. If you like it then i will hook you up with a discount on Pro version.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

@jpcummins: Do not install ZoneAlarm together with ESS. As for Malwarebytes, make sure that real-time protection is disabled as its RTP driver used to clash with ESET.

@Oleg: V10 actually contains many performance improvements compared to v8 so it should have smallest footprint. It's been also confirmed by users that v10 uses substantially less memory. Besides that, it includes Ransomware protection to better protect users from malicious file encryptors (Filecoder ransomware).
    If you or anybody else experience performance problems with v10, we will welcome if you report it to our customer care or in our official forum at https://forum.eset.com and we will do our best to pinpoint it and make you a happy v10 user.
    Let us know temporarily disabling which of the protection modules makes a difference (real-time protection, web access protection, HIPS (requires a restart), protocol filtering, etc.). Also let us know what were you doing when you noticed a performance issues (copying files, launching apps, browsing, receiving email, etc.). For a test I'd recommend switching to pre-release update servers in the advanced setup to ensure that you are using the latest version of modules. For instance, the latest Internet protection module contains a workaround for issues when a server sends incorrect information about content length which caused performance issues when downloading from troublesome servers.

8. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I have switched to v10 now on both my laptop and desktop also I do actually prefer it to v8.

The hips is more stable.
    If a module is disabled it only prompts at boot and thats it, no constant nags, in addition you can tell v10 to disable the red status for modules now.
    No comment on performance because eset has always been by far the best a/v for performance, I have never doubted that. Since eset is so fast anyway, if its even faster its hard to tell.
    The gui in v10 is also faster than v8, which is interesting as v9 had a slow gui.

The hips gui I feel has regressed tho, its less intuitive in its design, and also if you adding lots of rules, the path is reset everytime you select the path (in v8 it remembered).

The UI is too big, seems its designed for 1440p screens, which my desktop has but on a 768p laptop it looks huge (768p is still most common laptop resolution in 2016).

9. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

What is ESET Smart Security Premium? I guess it has a few extra features than the regular Smart Security. For example, I understand the new password manager is a rebranded Sticky Password. What else is new, and is it worth the extra cost?

10. Marcos

ESET Smart Security Premium (ESSP) comes with a password manager and data encryption feature. Also Anti-Theft has moved from ESS to ESSP. ESS was replaced with ESET Internet Security which is the former ESS without Anti-Theft. Existing ESS users can use ESS v10 but it's not offered as a product in most countries.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo v10 is much better than v8 was. when v8 came out i stopped using it for a while. for me on all systems v10 performs much better than v8 or v9. and yes as marcos has said do not run zone with ess. as well as malwarebytes lately has been causing a lot of issues when running real time from what i have been seeing with my clients. i just removed it from a clients computer who was running it along with norton and malwarebytes was pegging the hard drive at 100% and it just sat there. i removed malwarebytes and the drive % instantly dropped to near 0%. i then reinstalled it but turned off the real time and everything is fine unless he is running a scan with it then the drive % jumps almost up to 100% again. also note it runs fine by itself WITHOUT norton. personally i prefer eset internet security over ess. i own both and use both. for me eset IS just feels lighter for some reason. not by a ton but it does.

12. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Waiting for banking and payment protection to work with Chrome in version 10.
    Module from 11/4/2016 not working.

13. jpcummins

Sorry I should have explained in detail the version of Smart Security I have; the CD says eset Smart Security 2016 Edition. And I neglected to say I also have Zemana Anti-Keylogger which was running at the time I installed Smart Security. Regardless as I am expecting to buy a laptop in the very near future I have decided to not reinstall Smart Security on my computer but to install it on the laptop when I get it. So now the question is since I installed it on my computer but had problems and removed it will I be able to install it on the laptop. Thanks in advance.

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, you will be able to install and activate it on your laptop.

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Smart Security ver. 9 and 10 have Online Payment Protection. This feature uses a kernel mode anti-keylogger driver. I strongly suspect your lockup issues were due to also running Zemana AKL.

16. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

17. ant_gamal

ant_gamal Registered Member

I have SpyShelter Firewall lifetime license on pc
    What if i get eset internet security v10
    will it be confliction?

I use eset smart security v9 with license end april 2017 can I have update v10 of the new product
    UnTill April ?
    I use update in v9
    And tell me it is up to date

18. Marcos

You should use only one firewall at a time. Since ESET's components are inter-connected, I'd recommend keeping ESET's firewall. Should you have further questions, feel free to ask in our official forum at https://forum.eset.com.

19. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

*but yes* - you can upgrade to v10 now or later with your license - you need the activation key - if you don't have one, but have username+password, you can get your activation key here:

https://my.eset.com/convert

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.