ESET Smart Security.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by The Red Moon, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I currently have 20 days left of my trial period with eset smart security 6 and it has been a pleasure to have this product installed on my laptop.
    It is to date the lightest and smoothest security program i have used and it has no impact on my system what so ever.

As you may or may not know i had been a comodo user for approximately 3 years but however the latest version had become very heavy on the system and so i decided to give ESET a try and im certainly glad i did.

After the trial ends i intend to purchase a full license for ESET and i would just like to invite forum members to give an honest opinion on this product in terms of its protection value.

Is this program enough on its own or should something be complimenting it.?
    My current configuration is per my signature.

Thank You.:)

2. syrog

syrog Registered Member

I have no comments. Just curious about where is the signature you mentioned?

3. The Red Moon

my signature is at the bottom of my post.:D

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

IMO no antivirus should be relied upon as the sole means of real-time protection. A layered protection is best. In your case, you have an excellent additional layer in Sandboxie for web browsing and other high risk activities, so providing you intend to keep Sandboxie you are good to go with ESS.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and if you like hips nod has a strong hips:thumb:

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The problem with the HIPS in ESS and NOD32 is that it is a dumb classical HIPS. In its default mode it does very little, and if used interactively it generates a lot of alerts. It reminds me of how Comodo used to be when Defense+ was first introduced.

7. The Red Moon

I currently have the eset hips set on a 14-day learning mode.:)

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what i do is i put it in learning mode and whitelist all my progras/applications then reboot and put it in policy mode wich will block all new stuff in real time=default denny:thumb:

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Does that cause any problems with Windows automatic updates?

I noticed that your signature says you use WSA. Are you using WSA in conjunction with NOD32 (just asking out of interest)?

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

11. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I have used this program for some years & thats all I have ever used. Yes its enough.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

pegr yes i use them both together and windows updates was added to the white list so every tuesday it is ok for regular updates:)

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't feel like writing a long post, so my short answer is Yes it is. Even more yes if you also use Sandboxie. Though I don't use Sandboxie myself.

All the malware that have tried to surprise me have been in malicious ads on website or in iframes and scripts and the like, and all have been blocked by the different parts of the web module like the URL Blocker, IP Blocker, or detected by the very effective http scanner when it scans the website content etc etc...

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Looks like a good light combination. :)

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Is there any difference in system performance between SmartSecurity and Antivirus only?

Sometimes I see Smart Security cheaper than EAV :D

16. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Hi, you can use smart security licence for antivirus :) but not the other way round. I used that way since I didn't need other components present in the suite. I am waiting for version 7:)

17. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

The Red Moon, how long have you been using the ESS?
    How many time does it protect you from infections? I mean not special tests if you do them, but at routine PC usage.

18. The Red Moon

@solarlynx.
    I have been using ESS for 10 days now and i have 20 days left of my trial period.

It has stopped everything i have thrown at it but this is irrelevant.
    Its the system impact that takes precedence with me and so far ESS has been absolutely flawless in that respect.

Taking my browsing habits into consideration of which only trusted sites are visited my chances of coming across active malware in a real world usage scenario are extremely slim.

Because of the way the latest CIS 6 reacted to my system,heaviness of the av etc it was uninstalled.
    To exemplify a simple comparison.
    When comodo was installed my laptop fan was running more consistently than when ESS is installed.

I have taken several factors into consideration and upon research of ESS i have decided i will buy a license toward the end of the trial period.

19. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I guess this is the decisive moment for CIS vs ESS comparison. Don't you want to try Avast IS? Or Avast free and some free FW (PrivateFW or just even WFW)? Whenever I tried Avast and Eeset they were very lite on my PC.

20. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I was also a big Comodo fan but since v6 I have not used it much.
    ESET runs so good on my laptop I won't install anything else and if I do want to test something out I always come back to NOD32 very soon after. I actually have been testing out NOD32 + EXE Radar Pro on a spare pc and nothing has been able to get past them, so that would be my suggestion is to add ERP to your arsenal and you will be very secure.

21. The Red Moon

Thank you overkill.:thumb:
    I share your sentiments.

I have also noticed that my laptop fan has been a lot quieter since installing ESET.
    Usually i go for free products but i feel ESET is worth buying.:)

22. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I feel the same. ESET is IMO definitely worth buying.

23. Overkill

Head on over to malwaretips and enter the giveaway/contest...I won another year key :D

http://malwaretips.com/Forum-MalwareTips-Giveaways
    They are giving away both ESS & EAV

24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that ESET's software licenses are not tied to a particular version, so if you purchase a license when v6 is the current release, when v7 comes, it will be a free upgrade for you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. Overkill

Very cool :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.