ESET Smart Security?Will you use it or antivirus only?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by binkko, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

I will give one try on my desktop

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i will certainly give the suite a try and, if i am sufficiently pleased with teh firewall, i may keep it.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I will give it a try as well.
    Very curious where all the fuzz was about the last year.

But what I've seen looks very promising

4. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

A bit off the topic but not too far from the track :D : Is the beta version to be released on 2nd April Vista compatable? Sorry if this question has already been asked, I did a search but returned no results. Thanks in advance.

5. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

Hi uc-icq,

no worries, it's Vista compatible.

6. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks :thumb:. For sure I don't wanna miss the boat for being a Vista user. Does the beta version come with a limited grace period free of charge? If so, anyone knows how long? Thanks.

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I will wait to see how it does on others machines and see how it scores in any 3rd party testing. While overall I agree that the best approach is to mix and match AV, FW, and Antispyware from different vendors, I like the convenience of an all in one and if it provides solid protection, I would use it.

8. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

beta is free. remember it's prior the final release. and how long would be beta period.... dunno right now.

9. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Fantastic. I've gotta grab it as soon as it's available. :D The downside is that I'll have to waste my license away, which is still good for 3 months.:'(

10. gamersmile

gamersmile Registered Member

Seems the discussion about the ESET Security Suite is on ... and heated.
    I guess the screenshot was released by some ESET staff, 'cause there is not download available on the internet yet.

11. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I currently use Outpost Pro as a firewall. It is a good product, but can be rather heavy on system resources, particularly just after login. It also has a tendency to crash occasionally.

If Eset's firewall is as light on resources and reliable as NOD32 then I will certainly upgrade to the Suite, even though I have a lifetime license for Outpost.

I'm not bothered about anti-spam, because I never receive any, unless you count marketing emails from companies that I have previously done business with.

If they have improved NOD32's anti-spyware detection capabilities, then I will probably ditch MS Windows Defender, as this can also be a bit heavy on system resources sometimes.

Hopefully it will be reasonably priced like NOD32.

:thumb:

12. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

I like the AV and I use it.
    As for Firewall well that depends how effective it is. I mean if it really does what it says it does and if it gives me enough choices to filter permissions by IP, SIte etc and not just allow all activity to that exe or Deny all activity to that EXE. I like to have granual approach per .exe and/or process basis like my current Outpost Pro. Also Nod must be very good at Anti-Leak protection.
    For me I am using Outpost PRO now and I like it. It is a bit heavy on resources (~30mb) but in a world of 2+Gb machines that is ok. I have not have it crash (yet) and I have been using it for few years (lifetime lic). I like it's new ability to nuke the net access if the firewall is killed (like Sygate Pro).

I do not care much about anti-spam my company has very good up to date filters and we very rarely get any spam at all.

All I care about is increased Heuritics and rootkit detection for the AV.
    If the wall is as good as Outpost and if it's lighter on resources then I might switch. As for spam...neah not a necessity (yet).

I was just wondering if/when you get the suite and decide not to use the SPAM or the WALL will those components still have to LOAD and take on resources or can the user just untick those options?? (EVEN after installation) Let say you want to install the whole suite, but later on decide to disable the wall and the A-Spam. Will the suite still take the same amount or resources as with A-Spam and FW enabled?

Thanks

13. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i am a dial up user i want to know how much size of the suite
    i think it's maybe 30 mb or much

14. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

antivirus + antispware 12 mb
    firewall 8mb
    antispam 6mb
    gui 5mb
    -------
    31mb i think

15. Basic

Basic Registered Member

sure i'll give it a test drive.

the firewall would have to be comparible with the reliability of outpost firewall which i have used for a long time now.

I don't want a set it and forget it type of firewall.

i want a firewall that lets me know when any of my applications try to connect to the internet and when an outside source trys to connect to my computer. i want to be the one pushing the allow and/or block button. it should pass the leak test's. hopefully it will have self-protection from being shutdown from an outside source. i could go on with features i would like to see in this firewall but i won't.

i have been using nod32 for just over four years now and have been very happy. so my expectations are high for the firewall in the security suite.

if the security suite does not meet my expectations i won't use it. it's that simple. does not mean i will stop using nod32 anti-virus though.

so if i like it i'll support it, if not then not.

16. firmamenter

firmamenter Registered Member

I will definitely try the beta version as soon as possible and use the suite in the future. My only doubt is the pricing structure of it. My license is still good for about 10 months. Do I have to wait for that long and then purchase a combined license again? Or Eset will automatically "upgrade" my license into a combined one?:D Anyway, give us another pleasant surprise, ESET!:D

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Where did you get this information from ?
    Think about CD

18. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

With regard to the the built-in firewall, does anyone know if it's completely developed by ESET or simply a light OEM version licensed by Kerio? The answer will come to light in a fortnight or so but it's good to know beforehand. Thanks.

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IBK said that it´s a in-house development.

20. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

So I read but my friend told me otherwise. Just wanna make sure if he's got a rusty memory. Thanks for your reply, Lucas.

21. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I'll let all you guys do the dirty work and jump aboard once any teething troubles are sorted out.:D

I'm using NOD32 and Comodo just now and it's fine, apart from having to turn off the application monitor to play games.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Troubles? This is one time this whole gang is going to be shocked. A suite that performs as required and as expected. Geez folks, you have been bashing Eset about not having their suite out for almost a year now. Had it came out a year ago, well, it would be like several others out currently, rushed to market. But these folks, kept the hammer to the stone and didnt budge on giving in to public demand before it was ready. Hell, I commend them, because think of the revenue lost over the last year from not putting out as a suite that wasnt ready. Nope, these folks are for real about staying on top, and it is obvious to me, they are not driven by the all mighty Euro, dollar,etc, but the quality of workmanship in their product.

23. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I personally don't mess around with 3'rd party firewall software. I use hardware based firewalling and the SP2 Windows Firewall in conjunction with it, that's all. 3'rd party firewalls only succeed in complicating my connection and sucking up resources.

Right now I'm using KAV 6, and when my subscription runs out I plan on changing to Nod32 2.7. I have heard great things about it. It's proactive protection seems superior to the active protection of KAV & other AV programs, while being less of a resource hog.

I'm sure ALOT of people will use it, I think it's a great idea, but not for me inparticular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.