ESET Smart Security v4.0.467 disk thrashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by joelbb, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

I am having problems with disk thrashing in Win 7 64 bit, which I have tracked to ESS. There will be occasional bursts of disk activity that will freeze my computer for 5-10 seconds. These appear to be due to scanning after updates of virus definitions (which I have now turned off in the scheduler). I also have episodes of disk thrashing, again lasting 5-10 seconds, when I open folders or move files/folders, which I suspect is due to ESS scanning the files/folders. Is anyone having similar problems or having suggestions to tone this problem down? It is very annoying to have the whole computer just hang for 5-10 seconds.

2. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Do you have advanced heuristics and run-time packers set for real-time scanner in advanced setup ?

3. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

Yes, I did. I assume you mean I should disable them and see if it improves things, so I have done that.

4. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

Well, this helped the problem, but it did not go away completely. Are there other options I can safely disable?

5. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

The only other reason I know for disk thrashing in windows vista and windows 7, is due to the system restore, indexing and the superfetch service.With 75% of activity being the superfetch service.How much RAM do you have on this system ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

4 gigs. And the thrashing is livable now, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.