ESET Smart Security v4.0.467 disk thrashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by joelbb, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

I am having problems with disk thrashing in Win 7 64 bit, which I have tracked to ESS. There will be occasional bursts of disk activity that will freeze my computer for 5-10 seconds. These appear to be due to scanning after updates of virus definitions (which I have now turned off in the scheduler). I also have episodes of disk thrashing, again lasting 5-10 seconds, when I open folders or move files/folders, which I suspect is due to ESS scanning the files/folders. Is anyone having similar problems or having suggestions to tone this problem down? It is very annoying to have the whole computer just hang for 5-10 seconds.

2. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Do you have advanced heuristics and run-time packers set for real-time scanner in advanced setup ?

3. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

Yes, I did. I assume you mean I should disable them and see if it improves things, so I have done that.

4. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

Well, this helped the problem, but it did not go away completely. Are there other options I can safely disable?

5. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

The only other reason I know for disk thrashing in windows vista and windows 7, is due to the system restore, indexing and the superfetch service.With 75% of activity being the superfetch service.How much RAM do you have on this system ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. joelbb

joelbb Registered Member

4 gigs. And the thrashing is livable now, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.