ESET Smart Security is not designed for a Server?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sebastown, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastown

sebastown Registered Member

i was having problems with my LAN application (windows server 2003 R2 / mysql) because of the firewall of Smart Security v3.

so, i went to customer care for a little help. but check what they told me:

"Hi there, ESET Smart Security is not designed for a Server, please uninstall it and replace it with the Business Edition of ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

Thank you for contacting ESET Technical Support."

after paying almost 400 bucks, it's kinda scary to know that...

in fact, in http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/index.php#smartsecurity_business you can read that:
    "ESET Smart Security Business Edition may be installed on servers as well as workstations (the Home Edition can only be installed on workstations). This is a critical feature for businesses, as servers are as vulnerable to attack as workstations. Should servers go unprotected; one virus can take down the entire system."

so... who's lying?

bottom line, i had to disabled the Firewall in order to got everything right.

is this a lost cause? (trying to get ESET's firewall to run properly in W2003)

thank you very much

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESS works fine on servers as long as you are able to create and configure all necessary rules for the applications/services that you use.

3. sebastown

thanks for your answer.
    the support guy doesn't seems to think as you are, so...

anyway, where can i get a "recomended settings" for the firewall, not the antivirus (just like this one: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN727)

thanks

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are no recommended settings, they vary from computer to computer, from server to server, depending what applications/services are installed and used. On the server you should switch the firewall to policy-based mode and create all necessary rules so that all your applications/services run properly.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

i wouldnt put ess on server, either. no need for a firewall or spam filter on a server.

7. BRACdude

BRACdude Registered Member

Out of interest why wouldnt you think it were necessary for a server to use a Firewall?
    I too have been told by the UK Tech guys not to put the firewall on a server as it is a personal firewall even though it's bundled into a business edition package? very confusing when ESET tech say themselves not to put it on a server and only use the Anti virus component.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

If you wanted to, can't you download and install EAV BE with your ESS BE licence?

Cheers :)

9. BRACdude

BRACdude Registered Member

Yes you can and i have based on the recomendations of Tech Support, i was just curious as to what peoples reasoning is for not having a firewall on a server was as surley a server could be the target of malicious attacks the same as a workstation?

Thanks.

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

From experience with another brand of firewall, because of the way Server OS's work, it is possible for it to deny access to itself or any program that tries to access it (spent two days ' breaking in 'to a SBS2003 server because someone installed firewall software remotely as advised by the firewall vendor), whereas using a firewall that is embedded into a router should protect the server.

Colin

11. sebastown

really? interesting
    why is that? because of the Windows Firewall? isn't THAT great, you know...
    (note: i already have a hardware firewall... but you're never too cautious, right?)

my fear is: what about the Conficker, wich attack some ports? if you don't have a firewall, you're done.

Exactly my point. Why not putting a BIG RED warning in the site BEFORE we all buy it? merchandising reasons? i hope not

i already did. but before i switch them, another question: ¿is it the same to have SS with the firewall off, that have AV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.