Eset Smart Security Info

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by khanyash, Mar 5, 2015.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Firewall default setting is set to auto - This means there will be no popup from firewall, right?

If email clients is not installed on the system, email client protection & spam protection can be disabled, right?

Under Application Modification Detection-
    Detect modification of network-aware applications
    Enable detection of application modification - enabled by default, does this generate popup?

Under system integration - Postpone personal fw module update until a computer restart - mouse behaved erratically so dont know if this was checked or unchecked by default, plzz tell me if by default its checked or unchecked?

Is smart security as lights as the AV i.e no system, browsing slowdown, etc...?

Do I need to do changes in fw for torrent or torrent will work with no prob?

2. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

3. yongsua

For the automatic mode, "Automatic mode – The default mode. This mode is suitable for users who prefer easy and convenient use of the firewall with no need to define rules. However, you can also add custom, user-defined rules. Automatic mode allows all outbound traffic for the given system and blocks all new connections initiated from the network side" (Source: ESS Documentation)

As for the email protection, you can disable it since no email client is installed on the system but "Disabling email protection won't save any resources, it's not necessary to do that even if you don't use any email client. Email downloaded via HTTP(S) will be scanned by web protection (HTTPS only with SSL scanning enabled)." (Quote from Marcos (ESET forum moderator))

For Application Modification Detection, "Application Modification Detection is a check that the program hasn't changed since you created the firewall rule, otherwise you've created a rule for a legit program, which later gets overwritten by mailware and is able to get through the firewall.

If you clicked "Deny", then I would expect it to modify your existing rule for that program from "Allow" to "Deny", or create a "Deny" rule above it." (Source: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/application-modification-detection-question.278528/) Therefore, I can assume that it will have pop up alerts for this.

Under system integration - Postpone personal fw module update until a computer restart, I haven't come across with this so it is unchecked by default in my system.

As for the lightness, haha.... I have no idea. There are some users complain about the ESS performance. For me, so far so good except my network was affected for awhile at the very beginning of using it, then all back to normal. No slow down for me.... but if I say this, somebody might put me into Mortality :( My advice is you need to try it yourself for some period of time.

As for the torrent, I would suggest you can create a custom rule for it.

Anyway, I prefer using "Interactive mode' rather than "Automatic Mode" of firewall so that I could have control over my network.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

What's weird is that some users can write some 30 forum posts and complain for over a year, but they show no interest in working it out together with the vendor support.

Even if users use the same OS e.g Win 7, each user have different softwares and drivers installed, so there is a lot of things that is different from system to system. But the vendor can't fix any issue and investigate if they don't know anything about the affected system. I could care less, if they don't want to get their issues solved and use the software then they don't have to. But I answer question and push them in the right direction in the hope they will understand one day, even if it takes years.

5. yongsua

It is indeed true, Swex.

6. khanyash

I will keep email protection disabled as email client is not installed & ssl scanning for https is diabled by default.

Its running very light here system, browsing, apps opening, etc...

Torrent is working fine here without any changes into fw.

Yesterday i.e on the first day of Eset install, I too had prob with net browsing.
    I dont know if it was due to Eset or my internet had some probs.
    But today all is fine.
    But yes I changed my network from Public to Home in Eset settings. I dont know if this was the reason.
    Does selecting Public for my connection affects internet browsing i.e page loading slow or some site having prob?

I am having 1 minor prob with ESS. This prob was not there with EAV that I uninstalled for ESS.
    On Internet Explorer & chrome, I use adblock plus.
    Chrome is fine.
    But on IE, ads appear for 3-4 secs & then blocked.
    And some popup windows that adblock use to block, they sometimes appear & disappear & sometime appears but dont disappears i.e I have to close the popup.
    Any info? This is the only prob I am having after installing ESS. Tried reinstall ESS too but the same prob. When ESS was uninstalled, prob was gone.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  7. yongsua

Have you tried to add Adblock into ESS exclusion list?

8. khanyash

Which exclusion list?
    I added adblock plus folder in realtime scan exclusion but that didn't solve the prob.

9. yongsua

I have no idea about how adblock plus works and I suggest you kindly refer to ESET forum to post your issue about this as an improvement for ESET. It must be something to do with HIPS or firewall since adblock plus is already excluded from realtime scan. Sorry for that. One question, how does adblock plus actually work? Does it use internet connection to connect to its server to request for queries then block the ads that are blacklisted in the queries or it has some built in technology to detect ads?

10. khanyash

It has blocklists.

11. yongsua

Oh I see, so the blocklists are already available in its installer prior to installation? If this is the case, then there might be HIPS that causes adblock to react slower than it is expected or loss of reaction.

12. khanyash

Adblock Plus in Internet Explorer is limited i.e only ads blocking lists & in Google Chrome adblock plus has few lists, ads, privacy, malware, social network & no probs with adblock plus in chrome.

Dont know whats the prob in IE with adblock plus & eset?

13. yongsua

Alright, I have already installed adblock plus and would like check it out. Can you tell me which website that adblock plus doesn't block properly due to ESS interference? Thank You.

14. khanyash

I uninstalled Eset & tried Comodo Internet Security & Avast Internet Security & still had the prob.
    So its Adblock Plus prob on Internet Explorer.
    Previous version was fine. This latest version has this prob.

I had tried kickass.to & ads appears for 3-4 secs & disappears.

15. khanyash

Uninstalled ESS & installed EAV.
    With ESS, sometimes web pages were loading slow & sometimes keeps on loading. I checked disabling AV but the prob was not solved. The moment I disable FW, website loads on the spot.

With EAV, browsed continously for quite a long time & no such probs.

With ESS, I checked few times speedtest too & everytime download speed was around 2.78mbps & upload 3.25mbps.
    I have a 4mbps connection. With EAV download & upload speed was everytime around 4mbps.

So guess I am happy with EAV & Win 7 FW.

Every FW affects speed & gives little slow down on my system with 4GB RAM.
    Only Comodo Internet Security is one software thats light for everything on my system.

But other average users on this system doesn't like CIS & dont want to install 2 softwares i.e FW & AV from different vendors.

So EAV & Win 7 FW combo best on the system.

Thanxx frds for the valuable support & time.

If any more query, will definitely trouble you.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
    Naren

16. yongsua

Thanks for the testification. I do also have similar issue like you. I have just reported the firewall issue at ESET forum. I hope they get it fixed ASAP and its firewall module hasn't been updated for 3 months.

17. itman

itman Registered Member

Why don't use just use the Fanboy/Adblock EasyList and EasyPrivacy tracking protection plug-in lists it IE? That's what I use.

18. bitbizket

bitbizket Registered Member

The latest personal firewall module is: 1264 (20150222).
    This can be downloaded in the Update settings by selecting Pre-released update.
    Not sure it will make any difference for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.