Eset Smart Security .. disable Windows 7 Firewall?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by utas, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utas

utas Registered Member

Hi All, two (hopefully) quick clarifications sought.

Context: In the past few days I have done a clean re-install of my pc, installing Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate) and Eset Smart Security v4 x64 (Firewall set to Automatic with Exceptions). I have set the type of networks within Eset Smart Security under Change the protection mode of your computer in the network.

ONE?
    I noticed that the Windows 7 firewall was still active and have thus disabled it as it was my understanding that running multiple software firewalls was not a good idea. Should you disable your windows 7 firewall if running eset smart security 4 with the firewall enabled?

TWO?
    Also within the windows 7 network and sharing center .. does the location for my LAN make any difference? (ie Home, Work or Public Network) .. I have it set to Public Network for all interfaces to be sure.

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

If you want to save yourself a whole load of headaches in the future, I'd recommend you use ESET Anti Virus and stick to the Windows 7 firewall.

@One: You should not have 2 firewalls running.

@Two: If you don't plan on doing any sharing, Public is always the safest (most restrictive) setting.

3. rothko

rothko Registered Member

i'd also like to know, ideally from an eset rep, whether disabling the windows 7 firewall is recommended if using Smart Security.

Or does the Windows Firewall not count as 'another firewall', in the same way that Windows Defender probably doesn't count as having 2 anti-malware programs running?

thanks

4. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Yes it DOES count as another firewall, it IS a firewall. You're thinking of it as some kind of basic extra layer which it is not, it's a full fledged firewall.

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

so I'd be interested to find out what is recommended by eset - leave it on or turn it off.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

FunkyDude is right, turn it off. Running 2 firewalls can be as bad as running 2 AVs. I also agree that I would run Esets AV and Windows 7 firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.