ESET Smart Security blocking google.com

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by qwert1, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwert1

qwert1 Registered Member

Apparently the ESET firewall has been blocking my connection with google.com periodically.. I found this out after I paused protection and turned it back on. Is there a fix to this?

please reply as soon as possible, thanks!

2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

This is the second thread of ESET's Firewall blocking google.com. Really weird. I use google quite a bit: gmail, maps, search, etc... I've never had any google blocks at all.

Have you any entries in your Firewall log of the blockings?

Any particular thing you are doing at google that is getting blocked: downloading files, uploading files, purchasing, etc...??

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This would happen if the response from your preferred DNS server times out, the computer queries the secondary DNS server for name resolution and then receives different IP addresses from both servers. Disabling DNS cache poisoning attack detection should help.

4. qwert1

qwert1 Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

to DarrenDavisLeeSome: I was just trying to get onto google.com to do a search, nothing else.

5. L7wy

L7wy Registered Member

For me the solution was:go to "IDS and advanced options" then uncheck "block unsafe address after attack detection". :D Sorry for my bad english :D

6. theseus47

theseus47 Registered Member

Just to play the devil's advocate here...a workaround != a solution, and a workaround that requires you to turn off security features of the suite is definitely not a fix. :p

7. BoscoCosta

BoscoCosta Registered Member

yea i had the same exact issue with my gmail not working and occasionally not allowing google to even open yet when i did the same trick to turn of the IDS setting for blocking address after attack i no longer have the issue. I agree this is NOT a good fix

8. DEFIANTx

DEFIANTx Registered Member

I can also confirm this issue. I cannot go to www.goolgle.com or log into my gmail.

Hope there's a fix soon as I've went back to the stand alone antivirus (nod32) and firewall (zone alarm free) for my solution.

9. theseus47

Yep, and the latest update to 4.0.424.0 doesn't fix this either - firewall module wasn't changed :(

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If the request to the primary DNS IP timed out, and it moves to the secondary, exactly how does it have two IP's of google.com to forward to? The primary timed out, i.e. no IP for google returned.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That was what I wondered... o_O

12. DarrenDavisLeeSome

According to Windows Secrets someone has discovered a major hole in Google's software. Google's Gmail accounts especially have been subject to numerous break-ins.

Is it possible ESS's Firewall is picking up on this?

13. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I have 4 PCs all running everything Google and ESS4 is not blocking Google at all. That includes XP and Vista.

14. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

I have vista ultimate 32... I have the same problem... ess v4 blocks google and some pictures on the different page on web... I can't send files bigger then 1MB in yahoo messenger, but i can receive... firewall 1045 still has many bugs...
    I try many security solusions and no problem... ess v4 should be back in beta!!!

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

there are 2 points I would make.

1. If there was some actual attack during the connection, then all users of ESSv4 should be seeing this. But I currently do not have connection problems with the site, nor do others as reported.

2. If it was some form of attack from the site, then it would be incorrect advice from Eset to actually disable such protection to allow the attack.

I have seen and reported a number of issues, both on forum and in private, but as there is no information feedback from Eset concerning the problems, be it directly or indirectly, then I simply put the problems down to bugs/problems within the software.
    My trial license as now expired, so I have now removed the software.

- Stem

16. jfcunniffe

jfcunniffe Registered Member

Hi I new here but I had the same problem with access Google.com with eset smart security, had to turn off the firewall to access the site, so I uninstalled smart security. then reinstalled it but turn off the Threatsence box so far it has worked.

17. DarrenDavisLeeSome

So, maybe this whole ESS vs. Google thing has nothing to do with the ESS Firewall at all...? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ThreatSense engine totally independant from the Firewall engine?

18. elapsed

Shame because your advice was quality worth paying for.

19. theseus47

And shame that we seem to care about the loss of a valued customer more than ESET. But then again, I'm sure they're used to it. By the time they finally fix these program-breaking bugs that should have been addressed prior to the premature launch, even if they only occur to a sizable minority of the users, I wonder how many potential customers will have already given up in disgust and turned to other security solutions?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  20. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Yesterday i installed ESS 4.0.424 on a virgin fresh Windows 7 RC1. It blocked google.com alright, and a few other sites aswell, for example the Gigabyte support pages at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw. Otherwise ESS 4.0.424 seemed to work totally normal on Windows 7, no BSOD or anything

21. elapsed

I don't think he ever bought ESET, he likes to trial firewalls and we got lucky to have him for 30 days :D

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And then there are those of us, who have now turned to ESS and are completely satisfied.

23. theseus47

Potential customer then, instead of an actual customer :p

Undoubtedly the majority of people will have no problems with ESS. The question is, of course, just how many of those in the "minority" ESS is prepared to lose before they resolve the various bugs to a reasonable degree of usability.

24. Beschtia

Beschtia Registered Member

Hi

i have the same Problwem blocking all Google.*** Sites, all solutions on this Forum and ESET.com are not working.

only disable ESS Personal Firewall and aktivate Windows Firewall works.

have installed:
    ESS 4.0.424.0 on Vista x64 Ultimate

have also many from these entries:

what can i do to fix this?

regards Markus

25. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Uh boy...where the heck have you been?

People using the new releases of ESS 4.0 and beyond AND are experiencing major problems and/or minor annoyances ARE IN THE VAST MAJORITY! ! !

People using the new ESS 4.0 and beyond with their machines running perfectly are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. Your are GROSSLY outnumbered...at least 1000 to 1.

If you want to believe that the majority of ESS or NOD32 users, old or new versions, and are completely satisfied, and/or their machines are running perfectly....you keep on believing that. The same thing that happened to Symantec is going to happen to ESET. They lost costumers in the millions because they refused to address the serious problems that their software was responsible for. Symantec was in a far better position to overcome the bad rap because they've been around the longest. They could afford it. ESET's just a fly-speck in comparison. If they keep on doing as they have been lately, and if they do not get ESS 4.0 up and running stable then they will not be around much longer and we'll all have to find another Antivirus and/or Security suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.