ESET Smart Security and Ring Central VOIP

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mg32383, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mg32383

mg32383 Registered Member

Hello,

I am using a VOIP program called Ring Central and ESET Smart Security is interfering with the program and causing it to drastically slow down during the dialing out process. I have done some testing with the program in hopes of discovering a solution but was not successful. What I can say is that it is not a firewall issue because disabling the firewall completely has no affect on it. However, disabling "Antivirus and Antispyware" is the only thing that makes the program much more responsive when dialing out. With this feature enabled, dialing out takes about 6-10 seconds, disabling this feature will cause the program to dial out instantly. I have also completed many steps on several of the KB articles on the ESET website. I have done the protocol filtering steps and ensured that Ring Central was not checked in the web browser section. I have also completed the steps in the following KB articles:

-"How do I resolve network connectivity issues with ESET Smart Security"
    -"Adjust IDS options to prevent router conflicts"

I have also enabled all the options under "Allowed Services" in the "IDS and Advanced Options" section. Additionally, I unchecked "Potentially Unwanted Applications" and "Potentially Unsafe Applications" in the "ThreatSense Engine Parameter Setup" section of "Real-time File System Protection".

Everything I have tried has not corrected the problem. Again, the only thing that does resolve the issue is completely disabling "Antivirus and Antispyware Protection" in ESET Smart Security's advanced options menu.

I am running:

-Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit)
    -AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 at 1795 MHz
    -150 Gig hard drive with 120 Gig's of free space.
    -3.5 Gig's or RAM

I would love to use ESET Smart Security as my virus protection on my machines but do not want to disable "Antivirus and Antispyware" protection every time I use my Ring Central VOIP. I’m confident that there is some setting I can configure within ESET Smart Security to allow this service to run properly.

Thank you :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: ESET Smart Security and Ring Centeral VOIP

did you try excluding that app folder from scanning?

3. mg32383

mg32383 Registered Member

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention that I fully excluded the program from scanning according to a KB article on the ESET website as well. This did speed up the dialing out connection slightly...but not significant enough.

I excluded the .exe from the program files folder along with the entire Ring Central folder itself just to be sure.

Thank you for the quick reply!

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To troubleshoot the issue, always narrow it down to the particular module by trying the following, one at a time:
    - disable real-time protection
    - disable HTTP checking in the main setup (F5); this is not equal to disabling web protection
    - disable firewall
    - set firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" in the main setup and restart the computer

Let us know which of the above resolves the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.