Eset Smart Security and Network Magic

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nooblet101, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nooblet101

nooblet101 Registered Member

Need help with some configuration issues with Network Magic and Eset Smart Security.

Background:
    Ok...I have had difficulty setting up my Windows XP network correctly. Windows XP has never displayed my printers or files on my 3 computers correctly. I have no expertise with correcting these problems. However, I do have a paid fully functional version of Network Magic. So, I tried to install this on the 1 laptop and 2 desktops. I use a high speed DSL modem with a wireless Linksys router. I also allow my kids to play online with their PS3 and PSP with this setup. My Dell Axim also uses this connection to wirelessly get my mail. The computers can get on the net, the games play great, the email works....thus, my network is working properly EXCEPT no filesharing or printer sharing is working with my original Windows XP networking configurations after running the wizards. But, when I installed Network Magic, part of the file sharing works now and all of the printer sharing works. However, they do not display correctly within Network Magic. This is the only thing I could find...
    http://support.networkmagic.com/cgi-bin/pure.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4&p_created=1139339028&p_sid=p8x5GnTi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD00MiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1maXJld2FsbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

2. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

make sure that the firewall is set to interactive mode.

Restart the computer and Network Magic should generate a pop-up from within ESS during the start up process, once you give this access it should be okay after that.

3. nooblet101

1) OK, this seems to be working and now I am able to access both the printers and the documents on the wired (2 desktops) and wireless (1 laptop) computers. Also, I see my PS3 (when turned on and actively gaming) listed on the network map on Network Magic Menu. YAAAAAY!!! Thank you so much!!

2) Now, can I ever go back to automatic setting of firewall?? yes/no
    Or, will this just put me back into networking problems?

3) Next worry and concern....I see a computer listed now that I do not recognize coming in on my network (on the network map in Network Magic)and obtaining a LAN IP address on like xxx.xxx.x.240 that I do not recognize. Could it be my repeater or network switch? This IP address(LAN) range is much higher than I recognize for any of my computers. The name on this device is listed differently than my laptop. It is named "Lapto". My pda is turned off and my ps3 is off. I cannot think of any other device(s) in my home that can use my router (wireless or wired) to access the internet through my router. Plus my network is WEP key protected. Today, I turned on my wireless MAC address filter on the router to only accept my laptop MAC address. But this did not help (thinking it was a neighbor's laptop). In addition I have changed my WEP key, turned off SSID broadcasting, and trimmed the max allowed number of DHCP users to 6. (hoping the xxx.xxx.x.240 will be locked off my rounter!) Also, I don't know if this could by why my router could be acting weird the past 3-4 months, but my laptop frequently loses wireless connection with my router. Could this losing laptop connection be related to this "unknown" computer listed or not. (or just my router going bad??)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

if you switch back to Automatic mode it will forget the rules configured for your application, however there is a way round this.

Open the Eset interface and press F5 to open the advanced menu, from here find the Firewall option on the left, on the right change the filtering type to Policy mode.

This will keep the interactive rules and while working in automatic mode.

5. nooblet101

I will definitely give that a try. Thank you!

ps. As far as the "unknown" computer at LAN ip address...that was my range extender. These dont appear compatible with Network Magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.