Eset Smart Security 6 w/ Avast "Compatible Install"

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Gr4cchus, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gr4cchus

Gr4cchus Registered Member

I just recently installed a fresh copy of windows 7 professional on my computer along with Eset Smart Security 6.0.308.0 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) 1.70.0.1100. I am wonder whether or not it will conflict if i choose to install the free version of Avast using their (new?) "Compatible Install" feature (Install as the 2nd line of defense).

It was able to pick up things eset couldnt find and gave me problems with, another thing I like is they have a scan on boot feature which is pretty neat. I may even upgrade the free version in the future. So i would really like to run both if i can. Will there be significant problems?

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

2 antivirus programs together, yes its going to cause issues, if you even attempt it back up your system 1st, however my susgeestion is to pick one and use it...

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello Gr4cchus

I have the same point of view like larryb52. Personally I would keep malwarebytes, but only on demand. If it should be Eset or Avast is up to you. Both programs have a good strong record of stable detection. Running two major antivirus solution would in my perspective only be like asking for potential problems. Instead I would focus on getting a strong drive image Backup and recovery solution, that would be able to recreate your system anytime in case of e.g. malware infection slipping through.

Regards, Janus

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agreed.

Do not run two av's at once otherwise you are asking for problems. If you were going to run WSA with either, it would be ok. But Avast and Eset, then no.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I will have to look into this Avast compatible install. Several years ago I use to use Avast with my resident AV as an on-demand scanner. Avast gave an option to only install its on-demand functionality. I really liked it's scan at boot mode. Are they saying Avast now has an optional mode that allows it to be used like WSA which will make it compatible with all major AV's? A lot of users would like that option. The question would be though if it does indeed offer this compatible mode is what would be the additional resource usage, and would the payoff be worth it. WSA has the lowest resource usage of them all which makes its usable with another AV. Will this new mode of Avast make it use less resources? The only way to know for sure would be to test it on your own setup. You should ask Avast over at their forum, and see what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.